Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot some 255gr. WFNPB loads out of my 5" 1911 yesterday. I am using N340, N350, AA#9 and Enforcer. Velocities 850-1100fps. Leading was horrendous. When I use Cast Performance's 265gr. bullet at the same velocities I get no noticeable leading. Both are sized to .452. The only difference is the gas check. Am I most likely correct in believing a gas check will solve the problem? Any advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I believe your right in your assumption;) if you where around 1500fps gas checks are needed with cast. seems slow to cause bad leading, is this soft lead or hard cast? I don't think you should be getting leading at that speed, Maybe try ,451.5 dia, could you barrel be undersized?check it, not sure why, Aim smal hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The bullets could possibly be too hard for your pressure levels. If a bullet is too hard to obturate at the pressure levels you are attaining, leading can be severe. 1100fps with a 255gr bullet in a .45ACP sounds a little on the unsafe side, unless you're set up for a 45 Super. That load would be a lot higher pressure than any data source I've seen for a .45. Gas checks at these velocities are usually a band aid for improper bullet to barrel fit, or improper alloy for the pressure level being used. Is the entire barrel leaded, or just the throat or muzzle area?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RAMbo, kciH, Thanks for the replies. The bullet is Beartooth's 255gr. WFNPB, sized to .452. The entire barrel is leaded. I am also finding large pieces of the blue lube material in the barrel. Bullet undersized? kciH, thanks for the warning, I should have clarified that these are 45 Super loads. I just checked and found Beartooth lists a BHN of 21+, and C.P. lists theirs as 18-21.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
45 barrels, I'm not sure about the Supers, typically have quite shallow rifling. Undersized bullets will lead like crazy. If you can recover one of your bullets from a natural (dirt) backstop, you will likely find signs of flame cutting on the bullet base if it is undersized. You may also see a lack of proper engraving. You could try to shoot into a box of wet newsprint to recover the bullet to check for this condition. I would slug the barrel and order your bullets accordingly. Slugging the barrel is quite easy with a .45 since the barrel is removable and the rifling is shallow. Once you've done this you don't have to guess at which sizing diameter is right for you. The only thing to really watch for, aside from the actual diameter, is that your barrel is not oversized. If the barrel is oversized you can run into problems of having to use bullets that will not chamber in the firearm if it's coupled with a chamber of correct size. If that doesn't cure the problem, I'd look for a softer alloy or use a gas check design. All of this is so much easier when you make your own bullets, provided they fall out of the mould large enough in the first place. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kciH, thank you for such an in depth reply. I will go ahead and slug the barrel, something I should have done to begin with. I'm also going to try these bullets in my other 45's and see how they do. I do alot of pen./exp. testing using wet phone books, so I will take a look at some recovered bullets. kciH, RAMbo, thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts