Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching a dash cam video of an officer being killed after a routine traffic stop. The bad guy pulled out a 30cal carbine and used the large mgazine capacity to allow rapid cover fire as he advanced on the officer and shot him multiple times at vey close range.

This made me realize 2 important facts, first cover fire and high capacity is a great advantage, and the advantage of a shotgun or riflle over a hangun and if you are useing a handgun be very proficeient with them

So I went to the range to practice draw and fire quickly and accurately. I learned that I can fire the S&W M-357PD with full power 210 grain 41 mag ammo accurately just as fast as I can a 1911 45 ACP.

I also learned that the S&W lock is a terrible liabilty. The lock tied the gun up twice while shooting rapidly in double action mode. The lock could cost someone very dearly in a defensive situation IMHO

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Interesting. A tactical pistol instructor of mine once said; "slow is smooth..smooth is fast"

I agree, with the instructor. Watt Earp put it in dfferrent words, "don't let your mind make shoot faster than you can accurately align the sights" That is if memory serves me correctly

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
There Is Something......

.......to be said for the hi-cap carry pistols. I normally carry a Kimber with its 6+1 capacity but more and more I find myself carring one of my Glocks.

The Glock 19 with it's 15+1 or my Glock 20 with it's 15+1 of the powerful 10mm seems to be a real plus under certin conditions. But no matter how things go down,you gotta be able to place hits on target. You have to maintain your composure and default back to your training. Without this...you will most surely lose. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
409 Posts
There is IMO a definite advantage in hi-cap handguns or any combat defense weapon for that matter. Let's not confuse the two issues; shooting fast and hi capacity.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That is a horrible video. Unfortunately the officer made many mistakes. For the most part our law enforcement officers are extremely under trained and out gunned, especially in the vast rural areas. Notice not one car passed by there in the 3 minutes it took him to gun down the officer. Just goes to show you that although rural duty has it's advantages, there are disadvantages also.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,226 Posts
I carried a Model 19 S&W 357 for a number of years till our department went to semis. With the 19, I had six rounds in the gun and another twelve on my belt. With the new semi, I had 17 in the gun and another 32 on my belt. I definately felt a lot better armed with the semi. There are some merits to the old saying of "spray and pray".

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts