Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a, what I consider to be, very nice Weatherby Vanguard Series II Sporter (Blued + Walnut Stock). It's got a leather sling and a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 on Leupold Low Rifleman Scope Rings. It's been a pretty good rifle so far with 1 exception. I get a really crummy cheek weld even though it has a "Monte Carlo" stock. It lines up perfectly if the rifle had irons... but it doesn't. If I want to use the Scope (which of course I do) I have to sacrifice my cheek weld.

Obviously, the solutions are: 1.) a new stock, 2.) a check pad/riser. I'm leaning toward option 2 for price. I'd like a Cheek Pad made of Leather to go with the stylings of the rifle but they seem to be few and far between. The only ones I could find with an internet search were the Cabela's Triple K (with mediocre reviews) and this company called Cheek-N-Stock.
Triple K Leather Cheek Pad : Cabela's
Welcome to Cheek-n-Stock - Recoil Cushioning Cheek Pad for Shooters

Does anyone have experience with the Cheek-N-Weld or recommendations for a nice Leather Riser?

Thanks,
Scout

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LEATHER LACE-ON CHEEKPIECE | Brownells

Just put one of these on my Win 94 and it is perfect. Very nice piece of leather and best cheek pad I have found in leather.
Thanks Coffin!

As mentioned I've got a Monte Carlo stock and when working the action the bolt hangs out over the riser about 1/4". I'm concerned that the Cheek Rest (any cheek rest) might interfere with the action. If you get a chance it would be helpful if you could snap a pic of yours so I can see how it mounts.

- Scout

·
Registered
272 Posts
You will probably have enough space by mounting the pad further back on the stock. Under the laces there is a large leather flap to protect the wood from the laces and plenty of space for a larger stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Only trouble you may have looking at your stock:

- may need to cut a hole in the flap for your sling swivel.

- you may have a gap between the pad and stock at the back of the stock where the Monte Carlo portion drops down, cosmetic only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only trouble you may have looking at your stock:

- may need to cut a hole in the flap for your sling swivel.

- you may have a gap between the pad and stock at the back of the stock where the Monte Carlo portion drops down, cosmetic only.
Not worried about cutting a hole for the swivel, the gap is a bit of a concern... hmm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have one and really like it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kick-eze

If you don't like the look of the Triple K, you probably won't like the leather one from Brownell's or the nylon versions of it available from Blackhawk, either. You might want to look at the Kick Eze stick-on available from MidwayUSA.com, Product #: 310902. It's on sale for $7.99 for the rest of the month, cheap enough that you can throw it away if you don't like it. I think it comes in various thicknesses, 1/4" and 3/8" at least. I personally don't like the look of them, and I'm not sure I'd want a grabby hunk of Sorbothane between my cheek and the stock of a high-powered rifle, but tastes vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no problem with the "look" of the Triple K but the reviews on it are not so great.

Thanks for the alternative, I'll take a look at it.

So far, my favorite solution from a cost/function perspective is the Beartooth. My favorite solution where money is no object would, of course, be a custom leather job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Scout Actual, I don't have any experience with adding the check riser but I did purchase one of Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole stocks for my Weatherby series 1 and it is a beautiful stock. I saw where some of the members had trouble with the idea of hunting with a thumbhole but I found the transition effortless and I was also switching right handed action with a left handed stock at the same time (problem with right eye necessitated switching to left handed shooting) Good luck in your quest....06

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the idea. I'm not really interested in a Thumbhole for this rifle as I'm trying to keep it traditional looking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got one of these on a non-Montecarlo stock with an x40mm scope:
TNVC RSP Mod.1 ‹ Tactical Night Vision Company

Riser Stock Pouch for M14/M1A Rifle. Comes in different colors.

It is very adjustable and there is a hard foam insert in it that I shaped to get it at the perfect height for my rifle/cheek/scope combination.
Should be able to shape the insert with a coarse file to accommodate a Montecarlo stock.
One small downside is I have to remove the cheek riser to remove the bolt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts