Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

My 310 mold produces 325 gn bullets with wheel weights, any guy here use them in older Marlin .444ss ?

What OAL do you find suitable ? Ive heard Marlins have short throats, mine will NOT take 2.57 or even 2.55 though the loading gate, nor will the lever close about 1/4" gap.

Reduced to 2.51 they will enter via the gate and the lever will close if youve firm it still leaves rifling marks on the lead.  ???

Views, experience, advice welcome ?

Englander

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,405 Posts
Having the bullet touch the rifling is a good thing with cast bullets, generally.  As long as it doesn't pull out of the case if you eject the loaded round, don't worry about it.  Sounds like you've found the perfect OAL right away.

Congrats!  A long wait.  Be sure to scrub the bore within an inch of it's life before you start shooting cast bullets.

·
Banned
4 Posts
My Lee 310 mold also casts 325 grain pill with Hornady gas checks.
I seated my first batch @2.560 OAl and they feed fine thuogh the loading gate of my pre-'72 444. 2.560" puts the lee factory crimp in the center of the top crimp groove with trimmed brass.
It is hard to close the lever the last 1/4" as it pushes the bullet about .065" into the rifiling. I've read this gives unifrom start pressure adding to accurcy.
Loaded over 54 grains of H335 25 round average speed was 2208 fps

·
Registered
69 Posts
re:Lee 310

I didn't do anything scientific. Just seated it deep enough to work through my .444p and timber carbine over 40 grs. of H4198. Will shoot into about 2" at 100 yds, and crono's at 1904 fps out of the marlin. Not maximum by any chance but will bust through a deer from any angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts