Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measurer (and love it...it's very accurate). The only problem is the 'fixed' charge...it's impossible to do any load development. Does anyone have experience with and recommend the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar? Does anyone have experience using the double disk kit for the sole purpose of fine tuning loads?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lees adjustable charge bar works as well as the fixed discs. Same limitations with the very fine ball powders. I haven't tried the double disc setup though.

Dr. Joe

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Alan,

Unless you are using larger charges of powder (10 grains and over) I don't think you'll get much versatility out of the double-disk powder measure accessory.

The adjustable bar is great, and gives quite a bit more flexibility to your powder measure.  It's well worth the investment if you are using the Lee Auto-Disk powder measure.

If you haven't done so, give Steve K. a call at Hunter's Supply.  He's got a few Lyman 55 powder measures for under &#3650!  It's a good buy, and without totally breaking the bank you'll have a powder measure that will last a lifetime, and give you the versatility and flexibility you want.  It's worth considering anyhow!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning Marshall -

3:22 AM!!!  Good night Irene - I'm sawing heavy logs and and keeping the dog up at at 3:22 am  :biggrin:

I opted to purchase the double disk kit for my Pro Auto disk and I've loaded about 500 or so rounds with it by now.  Overall, I'm very impressed.  With most powders, it is a simple to throw 1/10 increments up or down and the accuracy is excellent (within 1/10 grain if not dead on).  Only one powder shows a variance every now and then and that's HS-6.  I have no idea as to why.  AA#9 will leak a bit sometimes also.  Again, I don't understand why other than AA#9 is like working with black, powdered sugar!  The other powders that I am using, W231, SR 7625, Univ. Clays and 2400, all throw perfectly and without a hitch.

I have an O-L-D Lyman #55 that belonged to my best friend's Grandfather that still works like a charm.  I use it strictly for loading a rifle cartridge (IMR 4831 for my father-in-law's .270).  The hopper is pitted and black from powder storage (probably years worth!) and the knocker looks like it was beaten with a sledge hammer but it still functions just like a Timex.

Steve K is the one who outfitted me with my Turret press and sundry items.  Good products and excellent service.  For those that don't know, Steve's web page is:  http://www.hunterssportshop.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts