Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Lee Deluxe ".38/.357" 4-die set. The instructions are only for .38 Special. No big deal - I just adjust the seating depth to accommodate the .357 - right? Not so fast. I like using the Auto Disk Powder Measure. There is NO reference to the .357 anywhere in the instruction pamphlet, website or via Google search! The instructions have a chart for the .38 Special, sorted by bullet weight and powder. My .45 ACP die set contains the same information.

Does anyone have any .357 magnum loading data for the Lee 4-die set for the 4-hole Turret Press set-up? I sent an email to Lee and hope to get a .pdf file sent via email. Thanks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use this exact setup .....if you are looking for loading data then beware. I will be happy to provide my loads but they are mine for my weapons and may not be suitable for yours.

Here is my favorite plinking load for .357.

I use a hard cast 158 grain Flat nose bullet gas checked bullet.
Unique power. I start with 5.5 grains and never exceed 6.0. This keeps the speed and pressure down to a reasonable level and prevents leading. If you do not use the gas checks then keep the power charge at 5.5 to 5.8 grains. With my Lee Classic and auto disk that means that I need to use the .61 disk with Unique. Be sure to check the charge weight with your scale.
WW standard primers
I trim my brass using the Lee pilot trimmer now since it is error free and results in consistent trim length but if you are using another trimming system then trim to 1.280.
I seat the .158 grain bullet to an OAL of 1.570 and then crimp using a Lee factory crimp die putting on an aggressive crimp. The crimp is very important on .38 or .357 loads. It makes a huge difference in accuracy.

Once again, beware of load data you might find on the internet and start low and work your way up. Lead is loaded to a lower muzzle velocity on purpose to ensure that there is no leading. Lead bullets also tend not to present as much pressure as jacketed ones.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Your post did really not make it clear what you are looking for. The title suggest that you are looking for help setting up the Auto-Disk. The content of the your posts suggests a need for 357 Mag data.

The set up of the Auto-Disk is the same no matter the cartridge. You simply change the powder cavity to meet match your desired load.

If you are looking for load data, try that offered online from all the powder manufacturers. Here is a link to get started: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use the .76 disc to load 6 grains of Unique under MB 158g LRNFP with mixed 357 brass and WSPM primer. Pretty mild load I use in my Vaquero and Marlin 1894CB for plinking

As noted above, you should double check with your scale to verify you get the same charge.

·
Registered
788 Posts
To reinforce what Ranch Dog has said, with my Auto-disk, I decide on the type of powder and powder charge that I want, using my notes or loading manuals. Then I check the Auto Disk load tables to find the closest (lighter) disk. At that point I run a few charges through to see how close, and in some cases I have used the next one up.
It won't be exact unless you modify the disk, and then you need to make sure it is marked.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all! I've got the latest Speer manual. A retired LEO friend has been loading 158 grain JHP with 14.8 grains of Alliance 2400 and getting an average of 1250 fps. It didn't occur to use my existing Lee charts to find the disk setting for my desired charge - I should have seen that. I've gotten spoiled on having the pre-printed information and I got lazy. I've got the load data, I just needed disk settings. Once I get a Dillon, the disk arrangement will be replaced with a powder measure/drop (but that won't happen until we're well into 2010).

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've got the load data, I just needed disk settings.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD2302.pdf

Scroll to the bottom and there's your "disk settings"

I'll point out that Lee uses very conservative charge weights for their disks. Ball powders are usually dead-on or real close but bulky flake or extruded powders can weigh light. Throw a few charges with your Auto-Disk and then weigh them- make a note of how much of a particular powder your disk cavity is actually throwing. Keep these notes with your Auto Disk charge weight instruction sheet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent! Thank you!!!!!!!! I found out how conservative the charges are when I started reloading with same set up for my .45 ACP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts