Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to pick on of these up. Before I do Im just curious, will it work with RCBS shellholders or do I need to go ahead and get a few Lee Universals? The description on Midwayusa.com said that it may not work with some other brands of shell holders, I'd just as soon not buy new ones if the RCBS I have will work.

Thanks,

JTH

·
Registered
863 Posts
Lee's universal shellholders are universal because they are all supposed to be universal, meaning they interchange...usually. I have a hunch some makers make some small differences just to make that less likely; they come in green boxes. Grinding a few thou off the bottom flat corrected mine.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The Lee autoprime 2 will work with the RCBS shell holders. To be honest you would be much better served to get the hand held auto prime XR and buy the auto prime shell holder set. The hand held is far faster with better feel.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Recently purchased the Auto Prime XR for a secondary priming setup based on recommendations of fellow hunting partners. Ran into a major problem with this setup right out of the chute. Because the short handle relates directly too the mechanical advantage exerted when seating primers comes a major problem. Being a member of the early baby boomer generation over sixty with early stages of arthritis strength in my hands has deminished. I could not seat primers with this tool. Went back too my RCBS hand held primer seater with success but can forsee when that will give way to the older method of press seating.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I like and use both the old AutoPrime and the AutoPrime II with great satisfaction. If my 20+ year old "pot metal" AP hand primers ever do break, I'll get the new model. :)

The AutoP II (press mounted unit) uses standard shellholders, is as fast to use as the hand primers and it can be adjusted to bottom primers out at a consistant depth; works nice, even better when pockets have been unifirmed. I use it for priming large quanities because the leverage of the little Lee Reloader press I bought for it works GREAT with my 70 year old hands! (Liked the little press so well I got a second one to use with a Lee Universal Decapping die and love that too. Together they make a perfect de- and re-priming system and I don't get any primer grit on my big press' ram.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts