Shooters Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I got my son Lee kit for his first reloading kit. The part I didn't like was the scale. The powder measure I did like but haven't used it much. I hear it leaks powder. Not sure how that happens but that's the claim. Easy to MTY it when your done. Takes a bit to MTY my RCBS measure. Never tried the little trimmer's they have but they do look like a good idea to me. I have and use dies from a number of different makers. Even have some very old Herter dies. Don't use them any more though. No particular reason why but over the years have taken decapping pins and lock ring off them to replace pins I broke on other dies and replace lock rings I didn't like. I like my Lee collet dies very well but couldn't deal with the lock rings. Well My Lee dies all now wear original Herter lock rings! I certain I could switch to mostly Lee tools and get by pretty well. I'd keep my RCBS scale though. Probably hold onto my Trimmer too but could easily give those Lee trimmer's a shot. The worst think I think I ever got from Lee was their loading manual. But even though I don't really care for it, it's is where my cast 308 and 30-06 loads come from! People can say what they will about Lee they have with stood time very well and will continue on for a long time I'm sure.

For cast bullet's I have a 450 sizer I do my handgun bullet's with but the rifle bullet's go through a Lee sizer and get Lee tumble lube. If there is an advantage to my 450 I have no idea what it is, both ways work very well for me.

I have an RCBS Precision Mic for my 25-06. Friend got it for me when it first came out. Haven't a clue what it is good for! Never took the time to try and figure it out. I guess it measures the case but I could care less the measurements of the case so long as it fit's in my rifle!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I used a test weight to check the scale. after checking level I put the weight on the scale and moved the ball and vernier scale until it balanced. took the weight off and put it back on and it would not balance. reset the balance and removed the weight and put it back on and it would not balance. It was not worth pursuing after that. I have three other scales that will hold the same setting no matter how many times I reset the weight. all are balance beam scales.

The powder measure did not throw consistent volumes with stick powders and it would leak ball powders. It wasn't usable for my techniques. I have two powder measures. The RCBS will throw charges consistently whether I use my graduated burrette or the scale when using ball powders. The other is an old #55 Lyman measure that I use for stick powders. It is better with those powders than my RCBS.
The Lee trimmers are alright if you are willing to use the trim length they are built to but I use the Lyman universal case trimmer and custom sleeves to change from one case length to another. I haven't adjusted that trimmer for over 20 years. I do check the trimmed length now and then but I haven't had to adjust it. The trim lengths are set to the chamber length minus a thousandth or so. Most are closer to the maximum case length that the "trim to" length and some are over the "maximum" case length. They fit my chambers.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i made a aluminium shim out of mine. it werks great!!!!! my lee auto prime is 30 years old and it only needed one shim!!!!!

Baddad457 Here's a paper shim in place instead of the brass. It just increases the lift by about .005.

I buy the old Lee priming tools anytime I see one for sale. I've never found a better tool for the job.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,507 Posts
It wasn't usable for my techniques. I have two powder measures. The RCBS will throw charges consistently whether I use my graduated burrette or the scale when using ball powders.
So not as intended, fair enough.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I bought my SIL a Lee Anniversary Kit a few years ago. I tested everything that came with it and found it all to be usable. Although the powder throw seems cheap, it was quite accurate if you are familiar with adjusting a throw of that type. The scale also seems a little cheaply made, but once zeroed, it matched up with my Ohaus, RCBS balances along with my FA Digital (and even a cheap digital I got from Amazon). I loaded a few hundred total of several calibers and found it to be a great deal for the money I spent.

I actually kept the trimmer and bought several of the trim dies and have found it to be GREAT. Only down side, is I don't think my SIL has used it at all since I gave it to him as all he has to do is ask me for ammo...lol

Same with shotgun. I gave him a shotgun and about 30k loaded rounds. I know this is a bit off track from the Lee Auto prime, but thought I would mention it.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bought my SIL a Lee Anniversary Kit a few years ago. I tested everything that came with it and found it all to be usable. Although the powder throw seems cheap, it was quite accurate if you are familiar with adjusting a throw of that type. The scale also seems a little cheaply made, but once zeroed, it matched up with my Ohaus, RCBS balances along with my FA Digital (and even a cheap digital I got from Amazon). I loaded a few hundred total of several calibers and found it to be a great deal for the money I spent.

I actually kept the trimmer and bought several of the trim dies and have found it to be GREAT. Only down side, is I don't think my SIL has used it at all since I gave it to him as all he has to do is ask me for ammo...lol

Same with shotgun. I gave him a shotgun and about 30k loaded rounds. I know this is a bit off track from the Lee Auto prime, but thought I would mention it.

Good luck and all the best.
Wow, your good to him. 30,000 rounds is like giving a kidney these days.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have only one thing to say about all this....R. C. B. S....I started buying RCBS over 50 years ago, and have NEVER EVER been sorry, PERIOD....I now have three Rock Chuckers, three priming presses, and all the crap that goes with them....NOT ONE THING HAS EVER FAILED.....suit yourselves....you will anyhow

P.S. for those of you who have wondered, my .20 Vartarg is the most beloved gun I've EVER owned, or shot..... OnWard....

Reactions: roverboy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still use my two Lee Auto Primes that I got back in the late 1980s, set up for small and large primers, respectively. However, since I've been getting arthritis in my thumbs I have bought a Lee Bench Prime. It works great.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Someone claimed their RCBS powder measure throws stick powder correctly every time? I've been using an RCBS powder measure about 50 yrs and with stick I throw low and trickle up. I've never seen any powder measure handle stick powder that well. Take a stack of logs and drop them in a pile. Then run them through a chipper and drop them again, pile gets a lot smaller. Same difference between stick powder and ball powder. Get the measure set where you think it's right on with stick powder and bump the lever going up, powder charge will change as the powder settles in the powder chamber. That is not a fault with any scale but the nature of the type powder.

I think that people that have a bad taste in their mouth over whatever brand should simply not use them. Lee has a lot of detractors and I believe a good number of them never used a Lee tool and some of them just used them wrong and can't bring themselves to admit it. Yet other's say they don't cost enough to work right! Lee makes an affordable product that does the same thing more expensive products do. Sometime even the expensive company's have a bad product get out. Someone back there was bad mouthing RCBS. First time I ever heard anyone say something bad about them, go figure! Lot of other people have used lee for years and nothing bad to say!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It was as much of a not wanting to move them and needing a place to store them as anything else. Since he was doing me a solid, I gave him a shotgun so he could shoot some of them up. I have about 25 flats myself and doubt I will shoot them up in my lifetime. I love my 410's and my 28's do well shooting doves and quail. Since I figured out how to load 3/4 ounce 12 gauge, I love them for Skeet.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,507 Posts
Someone claimed their RCBS powder measure throws stick powder correctly every time? I've been using an RCBS powder measure about 50 yrs and with stick I throw low and trickle up. I've never seen any powder measure handle stick powder that well.
😁😁
Yes, but please think about what that actually means for a minute Don.

A volume device: dispensing a product which by design, has a variable bulk density. Isn't very good at consistently pretending it's a weight device. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Can be read both ways. English is a tangle sometimes.

Get the measure set where you think it's right on with stick powder and bump the lever going up, powder charge will change as the powder settles in the powder chamber.
Yep. And furthermore, a bump on the way down will settle the powder at the bottom of the hopper and make the subsequent charge heavier. This is what the problem with grain cutting is. It's not that a cut grain itself matters a whit one way or another, but rather it's the small jolt created by the act of cutting the grain that's the problem.

The only measure I know of that won't exhibit cut bumps (because its design can't cut grains) and operates in a way that tends to keep the powder fairly uniform is the JDS Quick Measure. Even with long grains like 4064, I've never had mine miss by more than 0.2 grains, and it is usually within 0.1. It takes a bit of getting used to how it operates, but once you do, you gain confidence about what you are throwing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wore two of the Lee hand primers out and replaced them with the RCBS hand primers. I like not having to store the special cartridge holders and I have trays for all the primers. With the trays marked I can stor the primers I didn't use until next time and know exactly what I have. No more putting primers back into the trays.
Same here. I don but killed two Lee auto primers and went to a RCBS. So far, so good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
RJ
Huh, I liked my 30 or more year old Lee Autoprime so much I bought a second. On the first I got ham fisted and broke the connector link which Lee replaced for free pronto. The second I bought at a gun show for $5 with the connector link already broken and another email to Lee had a new link in the mail.

Some good molybdenum grease in the right places and graphite in others make mine run like a Swiss watch.

These tools are not SnapOn but they do have a lifetime guarantee with the only inconvenience being the down time while the new part is in transit. As Dad would say "They are as good as the best and better than the rest."

YMMV

RJ
Yessir...most all moving parts react better with a bit of lube :rolleyes:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts