Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the little Lee C frame press? The one called the Reloader press. Will it full length resize my 7mm-08 brass? The reviews on the Midway web sight say it is good for deprimming and other stuff but not resizing. If anyone has used one of these, I'd like to hear from you as to how it works. I don't plan on reloading great volumes of rounds, but I need a press that will handle full length resizing.

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
342 Posts
I started with a Reloader press. The largest brass I ever sized in it was .30/30. It did the job, but it flexes a good deal and the bore the ram rides in wears quickly. I'd recommend going with an "O" frame press. The Lee Challenger is pretty inexpensive new, and you can find used RCBS, Lyman and others on E-bay at bargain prices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like Lee products and I use several. Their dies are excellent for the money and the liquid alox bullet lube is the best thing since sliced bread.

I do not, however, like Lee presses.

You want a REAL press cheap? Log onto Ebay and bid on a Herter's single stage press. These things were made back in the 30's and they were made out of cast iron and steel. They must have sold a bunch of them 'cause they show up on Ebay regularly and usually sell for around 25 bucks. Shipping is usually around 15. I have bought three of these presses.

Herter's presses used a proprietary shell holder and they are not plentiful. An excellent adapter is on the market that allows you to use any RCBS type shell holder in the herter's press. If anyone is interested email me and I can put you in touch with the manufacturer. The adapte costs 15 bucks.

So for about 60 bucks you can have a single stage press that will outlive your grandkids. It's heavy and exerts a tremendous amount of pressure so resizing is a breeze. I love mine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rob,

I've got one of the little Lee Reloader presses. It has served me many years, although bought used for 5 bucks. It was my press when the wife and I were in a two room apartment. Yes, I preferred Dad's Rock Chucker but the Lee loaded a truckload of pistol ammo, literally. for competition bullseye matches. It has been retired to priming chores with Lee's Autoprime II. ( Press based Priming on the downstroke, works great. )

Just for giggles I full length resized some of my 338 Lapua Mag brass on it to see what happened. Sizing was no problem so long as the cases were properly lubed. So, is it as smooth, precise, powerful or meaty as my Redding? No. But it didn't cost as much either! Any Lee press should serve you well providing you don't take up any radical case re-forming operations.

You might check out Natchez shooters supply or others like it if you got the hots for a big press, last I knew the Redding Big Boss press was on sale, about 90 bucks, Lyman Crusher II in the neighborhood of $80, both with 4.5" press openings. They should handle nearly anything you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't want to get too critical of Lee. Like I said, they have many good products.

A well made press is an engineering work of art. It's a lot more than shoving a case into a die. On the better presses, there's a sweet spot at the end of the stroke where the handle "kicks out" for lack of a better term. I make all my adjustments to take advantage of this feature. It means I don't have to conciously think about how much pressure to apply to the stroke. I simply push the handle down until it "kicks over." This is a great advantage in terms of mental and physical fatigue.

Any piece of equipment can be judged by the finer points of it's operation. Low end equipment will do the job, but high end equipment does the job with much less effort.

The reason I am so enthused about the herter's presses is because of the value. These were very well thought out machines and manufactured with great care. Pricewise they are probably selling for the same price today that they did when they were new. So you are getting a high end press for a low end price.

·
Banned
16 Posts
rob said:
Has anyone had any experience with the little Lee C frame press? The one called the Reloader press. Will it full length resize my 7mm-08 brass? The reviews on the Midway web sight say it is good for deprimming and other stuff but not resizing. If anyone has used one of these, I'd like to hear from you as to how it works. I don't plan on reloading great volumes of rounds, but I need a press that will handle full length resizing.

Thanks, Rob
i use the reloader for pistol and the challenger for rifle, you can pick up a challenger on e-bay for as little as 10.00

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,313 Posts
Use my "C-frame" Lee press in the garage strictly for depriming. Can't believe it would hold up to much more than that, although pistol cases w/carbide dies might not be too bad.

I would not want to depend on it for all of my reloading, but it serves a useful purpose right now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never tried the C frame but have used a Challenger for over 18 years without incident. When I bought this one it was being sold as the Challenger 2001. Guaranteed until 2001. That seemed like forever back then. This one came with a set of dies, funnel, lube and priming attachment and ran me over $100 in '85. That's a sizeable amount for those days. But it was money well spent. I also have since picked up one of their hand presses for it's portability. Came in handy when living in an apartment a couple of years ago.

A lot of the Lee equipment is a good buy, but if you want "top of the line" then there are other, better choices. Of course you will pay more. Depends on what you're after. Lee equipment is good for getting "broke in" to the hobby. And maybe you'll still be using it 15 years later too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I started out using a lee handpress, and it seems to do just fine on full length sizing 270win. cases without a problem. Still using the same press 15+ years later, although my volume is low, I've never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used a Lee reloader press for many yrs-just for priming. Works good for priming, but like Jeff, I have used a Herters for all the full length sizing, & like him, I've recently bought a couple more on ebay-$25 or so + some shpg. Bought my first & until lately, only Herters in the mid 60's & it's just as good as new after loading untold 1000's of rounds. For the most part, I feel Lee products offer a lot for the money, especially the "
RGB" die sets.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Always liked the look of the old Herters "double barrel" looking press. (two dies in the head next to each other) Is that the kind you own, 50BMG?

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Contender said:
Always liked the look of the old Herters "double barrel" looking press. (two dies in the head next to each other) Is that the kind you own, 50BMG?

Regards
No,mine are the "super model 3"single station, but I'd sure like to find one at a reasonable price. They must be a little uncommon, as I've tried to get one bought on ebay but always seem to bring a lot more than I'm willing to pay.Would be nice to put both sizer & seater dies in the same press & just leave them there.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
I have a Handloader Article around here someplace about that Double Head press. Some pictures and pretty informative. I'll see if I can find it.

Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I've seen one of the small Lee 'C' presses Free when you buy their Reloading manual for about $30 + $4. shipping.

Not familiar with lee presses but it seems too good to be true. then again if all you want to do is prime or decap...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got one "FREE" several years ago. Used it for a while with Factory Crimp Dies as a crimp station. Wife uses it now to crack walnuts and pecans.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't have one of the small "C" frame presses you are discussing but I do have the lee hand press, which is a very similar setup- Its a "C" frame but is handheld rather than mounted on a bench. I have used it to full length size 270 win. cases and it works great. being a handheld press I have to brace it against my chest to get enough leverage, but it does work. That said, I think the small "C" press mounted to a bench would work just fine to get started in reloading, but if you load more than a box or two of shells a year you will eventually want to move on to something heavier duty. My hand press is great for bullet seating- it gives me a much better "feel" for the operation. But for sizing and crimping, a bench mounted press is better.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have one of the Lee 'C' presses, and a Lee Hand Press.
Both are what you'd call 'light duty' presses, IME.
The C press will probably size rifle cases, but I bet it won't last forever doing that, and I also would expect run out to be more likely than with a heavier press.
I use my Lee presses for light duty, like decapping.
Frankly, a good, full duty press doesn't cost much when you consider how long you'll be able to use it. I bought my RCBS Rockchucker in 1964 or 1965. Can't recall what it cost, but, it amortizes out to being mighty inexpensive. It's on it's second bazillion rounds now, and I expect to get a few bazillion more out of it.
A Lee press won't do that, I'm sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts