Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a Lee C430-310-RF and I would like to know If I should get a 2 or 6 cavity mold. Never use a 6 cavity mold but it would be nice to pump the boolits out. Is a 6 cavity hard to use in a heavy boolit like this? Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
My advice would be to spend a little more money and buy a 4 cavity saeco, you will be much happier with the bullets.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the 6 cavity unless you have a bottom pour furnace.

If you buy the 6 cavity and don't have a bottom pour, then the next thing you're going to want is a bottom pour.

One of my favorite bullets for general purpose 44 mag full loads is the Ranch Dog 265 grain bullet. If you're shooing a Ruger it might appreciate the extra fat bullet.

I have that RD 265 for full power stuff and Lee's 200 grain RNFP for my "light" 44 bullet.

If you want to try some, I could send you some samples for the cost of shipping ($5.40 for USPS flat rate). Just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's a good shooting bullet, at least from my revolver. I'd think that a 6 cavity would drain your lead pot mighty fast, the 2 cavity mold does it fast enough...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I was going to get the 6 cavity but they were on back order so I got myself a 2 cavity.$28.00 after shipping.Can't go wrong there. jmortmer, I like them molds but I was looking more for the WFN style.You like the LFN better for pigs ? I might get one of there .357 180 grn. If I not able to get in on a group buy on Boolits.On a list for a Cramer type but don't know if he is going to make more then 20 molds.I'm # 23 on the list. Thanks and Happy New Years.

wfn

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The problem you'll find with the 6 cavity aluminum molds is they overheat faster. You'll do better with a 2 cavity mold. If you'll cast with 3-4 molds in a session, you'll end up casting more bullets,alternating betweeen molds. This gives all a chance to stay within the right casting temp range.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The problem you'll find with the 6 cavity aluminum molds is they overheat faster. You'll do better with a 2 cavity mold. If you'll cast with 3-4 molds in a session, you'll end up casting more bullets,alternating betweeen molds. This gives all a chance to stay within the right casting temp range.
That's the way I do, too. If I'm running 2 6-cavs then I do slow down a bit to give them a chance to cool. But I run two Lee 20lb melters to keep the lead temp right, what with immediately adding sprues back & emptying so fast with the big slugs....

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
My advice would be to spend a little more money and buy a 4 cavity saeco, you will be much happier with the bullets.
While Saeco doesn't make the mold the OP wants, I must say that Saeco is my favorite mold maker. They are commercial quality and IMO, the best molds for the price that you can buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts