Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Lee factory crimp die for the 45/70 and it works great.  Does anybody use the 44 magnum and 357 magnum versions?  I would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have Lee Factory Crimp Dies in .357 mag and .44 mag and can tell you that they work great.  As a matter of fact I've got them for every caliber I own and have always had great results.

Also, they will custom make factory crimp dies for calibers that are not offered in their line for approximately $25.00.  Just send them a dummy round for reference; I did this with my 8mm Rem. Mag and I was very pleased with their service.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I also am very satisfied with Lee crimp dies. In fact I have found all of their products to be excellent. I received two sets of dies yesterday; a 33 WCF and one for 38-56 WCF. These dies are 1/4 the cost of RCBS dies and produce equal or better quality rounds. I definitely will be ordering more of them.
         Regards, mike

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
dodgestdshift,

I'll admit that because of previous problems with Lee equipement, I ignored all the positive comments for the Factory Crimp die. Boy was I wrong. Because of the continued postive comments from people on this site, I finally ordered the .44mag die and was very impressed, it really gave me a great roll crimp. I ordered the .45LC and .38/357 and have found them to be equally successful.

Dan "better late than never" K.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.  I was just wondering whether they would improve performance on bottlenecked rifle cases that normally I don't crimp.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I love their rifle dies, but their pistol dies do not seem to me to crimp any differently than anyone elses.  The big advantage to the Lee pistol crimp die is that it is impossible to crimp so much that the case bulges and the round will not chamber.  Well, actually you can overcrimp but as the case is withdrawn from the die the sizer button will resize the bulged part of the case.  Before using the Lee die every once in a great while I would overcrimp a case and it would not chamber.  With the Lee die, you feel it resizing the case as it comes out of the die and you know you are overcrimping, at least that case.  But, the sizer resizes the case so it will work, which does not happen with normal dies.  I'm not as crazy about the pistol crimp dies as I am the rifle dies, but they are worth the minor cost none-the-less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts