Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I get my lapping bullets from Marshall I'm ready to lap my 444P. The tech manuel says to use cases that are not re-sized. I only have re-sized and brand new ones. I cannot figure out how to set the Lee die up to decap and not size.How??Also I read that I might have a problem with the Lee dies with bullets sized .432. Any comments?

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
OK, first things first.  If you don't have any brass that has been fired, you'll have to go ahead and prepare some cases as if you were loading for any other bullets... but the seating of the bullets will be a little tough, as the brass will be quite a bit under-sized for the oversize lapping bullets.  No big deal, just a pain in the neck until you once fire them.

About decapping without resizing the brass for the .444.  A few options come to mind.  One, use the sizing die for a .45-70, or .458 Win Mag to decap the primer, as the brass won't touch the body of the dies, and the decapping pin will pop the primer.   If you don't have one, a universal decapping die is always nice to have on hand for a number of applications.  

In the absence of all of the above options, try this with your Lee dies.  Lee sizing/decapping dies have a "unbreakable" decapping pin.  Remove it from your sizing die, and the collet type nut that retains it in the die as well.  Then, without any dies of any kind in your single-stage press, insert a fired case into the shellholder and run the ram up to it's fully extended top-most position.  Then, using the decapping pin that has been removed from the Lee sizing die, insert the decapping end of the pin into the case, then centering it in the flash hole, give a slight tap with a light hammer, and your primer is easily removed!

Lee also makes a dedicated decapping die for under ten dollars.  Here's a link to that product page:

Also when seating your lapping bullets, it's best not to use your bullet seating die if you can avoid it!  Use the 7/8"x14 cap screw as described in the Technical Guide for seating lapping bullets.  It will prevent scratching your seating dies with lapping compound! (then you won't have to worry about your Lee dies and the oversize bullets!)

Hope this helps answer your questions!  If you have more, by all means please ask!  That's what we are here for!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall I ordered everything form you Friday. By the way I also have some 280 gr. ordered from a while back. I'm starting to second guess myself towards the over 300 gr. ones. I would just like a kill all load for deer and hogs.
Thanks again and I'll be praying about your health

1 - 3 of 3 Posts