Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering just how the factory crimp die worked. I have have a 45-90 that is .3" longer than the 45-70 case and I was wondering if the factory crimp die would work on it. The die appears to have a collet at the top that applies the crimp and I was wondering how it works. Is it activated by the shell holder or the cartridge case? Thanks for the help.

Garth

·
Registered
40 Posts
Due to the way that the Lee die contacts the shell holder, I don't think it will work on the .45/90. Either call Lee or e-mail them and ask to make sure. They are good about answering questions and working with you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use Lyman dies for my 45-90. The seating die makes a very satisfactory crimp. the only Lee factory crimp dies currentlly used are the 25-20 and 44-40. All other cartridges are crimped during the seating process.

·
Registered
204 Posts
RE: Lee custom factory crimp die.

Garth-

If the 45-70 factory crimp die doesn't work on the 45-90 I'm sure that Lee Precision could make one for you. They offer a custom factory crimp die service that will charge approximately $25.00 to make a factory crimp die based on a dummy round that you provide.

Hope this helps.:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
It is dependent on case length. If you ran a .45-90 into the FCD for a .45-70, you will get a nice crimp about 0.3" below the case mouth.

They are easy to shorten but hard to make longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts