Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I recently bought the Load -all. I was looking at it today. I don't have any components for it so I was doing a "run through" with some empty shells.

I found that I didn't like how hard it was to cycle it in the re-sizing mode. I didn't even complete the cycle. I tried lube as well as I would with a metallic cartridge. That didn't really help either. I looked around for a few minutes. I glanced at my Boss press and realized that it was threaded for 7/8 of an inch, larger than the diameter of the shells, but much smaller than the resizer. I decapped the shell as you would with the load-all without the resizer, then I placed the shell in the resizer into the 7/8" hole and pushed it through. Worked perfectly. And pushed off the resizer as you're supposed to with the Load-all.

An extra step, but judging by how hard it could have been to resize the shell with the load-all, I think this extra step would add a lot of life by using the much tougher single stage press for that step. I will make a "bushing/washer" of sorts out of copper/brass to protect the press from any unnecessary dings from the resizer.

I hope this idea helps some of you.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**** it. I just saw that they have dies for 12 gauge shells that work in the 1 1/8" threading. And my press is 7/8".

Oh well......Maybe I'll get that new Lee Classic press with the breech lock thing.......

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In the future I may have one. However, I'm not a trap/skeet shooter so I have no use for an expensive single purpose machine. Hence why I bought the Lee. It'll do just fine. I know it has a better review record than any of the expensive machines. That along with the cost is why I bought the Lee.

Not for nothing the first time I saw the MEC machines in the store I thought looked and felt like a pieces of junk. And expensive to boot. At least the lee is cheap. And I can buy 4 or 5 Lee's for one "cheap" MEC. And upwards of 25 of them for one expensive shotgun reloading press. I doubt that I will go through 2 or 3 Lee's in my lifetime.

My tip was for those interested in extending the life of the Lee Machine. Not to start another Lee versus expensive brand debate again. I've witnessed enough of those. I don't want to read or be a part of another one.:cool:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I like the Lee Precision Load All. I agree, it gets old reading threads bashing Lee Precision - there is good reason for Lee Precision being # 1 and it is not all based only on price, their products work. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wasn't trying to starta MEC - LEE debate. In fact, I use a LEE Load-All for my 16 Gauge reloading. Just trying to point out that for the cost of the 12 Gauge dies & a LEE Classic, a good used 600jr and a lot of components could be bought.

So as not to run the risk of upsetting you, I won't offer any more suggestions.

DC

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wasn't trying to starta MEC - LEE debate. In fact, I use a LEE Load-All for my 16 Gauge reloading. Just trying to point out that for the cost of the 12 Gauge dies & a LEE Classic, a good used 600jr and a lot of components could be bought.

So as not to run the risk of upsetting you, I won't offer any more suggestions.

DC
Actually you can buy a used 600 for about the same price as those dies cost alone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No LEE bashing from me, most all of my reloading gear is LEE.

I did look at getting the LEE Load-All's but before I ever got around to buying one, I found a used 12 Ga MEC SizeMaster for $45.00 and then found a used 20 Ga MEC 600 jr that was missing the primer parts for $25.00.
If sizing them that way works for you then keep doing it, on the other hand you can get the MEC Super-Sizer if you can find one really cheap on e-bay.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
560 Posts
No LEE bashing from me, most all of my reloading gear is LEE.
Michael Grace
And certainly not from me! I chunked the 600 jr because i like my load alls better, but i still use a sizemaster which i will never part with. The three metallic presses on my bench are the Lee classic cast, lee classic turret, and Lee loadmaster.

BTW i don't think they are still making shotshell dies for metallic presses other than the ones for brass cases? I know RCBS used to offer dies for paper and plastic cases but i am pretty sure they have been discontinued.

·
Registered
84 Posts
GMF, are you using the resize ring with the line around it on top? I have two LOAD-ALLS and usually decap and resize my hulls, then begin the loading to keep the shaking to a minimum for more consistant powder throw. One shotgun I own must have a slightly larger chamber for the hulls are a little harder to resize.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
A little Load-All story, for what it's worth:
In about 1978 or so, my girlfriend (now my wife) bought a Load all for me. I used it to reload about 500 or 600 shells. I broke it one day during a move when I set a piece of furniture on top of it in the back of the truck. I bought another one at Western Auto - they were only $22 or $25 at the time. That second Load All reloaded at least 2000 or more 12 gauge shells before I put it in its box for another move. It still worked fine, but I didn;t reload again until recently.

In the last couple of years, my wife looked all over for that boxed-up Load All, to no avail. This Christmas, she bought for me my third Lee shotgun reloader - the Load All II. Almost zero changes and such a joy to use. It groans a little, but I know from experience not to worry - that little machine will handle whatever I can throw at it. $42 and no charge bushings to buy!! I bought the primer feeder but I don;t like it, so I'll just do them one at a time by hand.

GMFWoodchuck, come back to this thread. You have no reason to be disgusted. The MEC and other machines are faster, but for guys like us who are not shooting in skeet and trap events, the MEC designers can only envy the Lee in its simplicity and ingenuity. As Jmortimer inferred, Lee is #1 for good reason. Yes there are "better" out there, but not on a cost/value comparison. That little Lee will work well for you (as long as the ring in the sizer is "up") ((:)D)))

·
Registered
560 Posts
My load all certainly restored my sanity! I tried loading those new bp primed hulls with my mec and after destroying several cases i kept looking at the load all under the bench so i pulled it out and clamped it down and started loading. :) It loaded them all perfectly, i think i am going to pick up another spare load all for just such occasions.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the ring was up. I tried it the other way for the heck of it, clearly that was wrong. I was just looking for a way to make life easier on the plastic press. And a bruiser single stage seemed perfect for te task of sizing the shells.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
My load all certainly restored my sanity! I tried loading those new bp primed hulls with my mec and after destroying several cases i kept looking at the load all under the bench so i pulled it out and clamped it down and started loading. :) It loaded them all perfectly, i think i am going to pick up another spare load all for just such occasions.
Well, I did that, Scott......picked up another one. ((:)D)))
I reload for 12 and 20ga, and I contemplated just getting the conversion kit. It's about $20. I figured for $42, I would just have two, and still have extra charge bushings (just in case) and parts if I ever needed to cannibalize one. I mounted them both on opposite sides of one piece of 3/4" MDF about 10" by 30" or so.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just recently inherited an as new Mossberg 500 20 ga from my father-in-law. I want to start shooting some clay pigeons when I go out to the desert to shoot my center fire guns. I started reloading for my center fire guns years ago and really enjoy it. I plan to get into reloading for this 20 ga as time allows. 95% of my center fire reloading equipment is made by Lee and I have been very pleased with it. It works for me. I've been doing my research on the Mec Loaders and the Lee Load-All II. I don't think I will need to get into high volume reloading and think the Load-All will fill the bill for me. From what you guys have said in this thread the Load-All II will do the job. Should I have any reservations going with the Load-All II for my use? Thanks for your help.
Cary

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
"I don't think I will need to get into high volume reloading and think the Load-All will fill the bill for me" Here is link to Load All 20 gauge reviews from Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=182430 For what your stated goal is I think you will be well served by the Load All. I have the 12 gauge model and I like it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
"I don't think I will need to get into high volume reloading and think the Load-All will fill the bill for me" Here is link to Load All 20 gauge reviews from Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=182430 For what your stated goal is I think you will be well served by the Load All. I have the 12 gauge model and I like it.
jmortimer,
Thanks for your response. I went to Midway and read all of the reviews for the 12 & 20 ga Lee Load-All II loader and it is rated very good I would say. The 12 ga unit has 50 reviews and it came up with over 4 stars out of 5. The 20 ga unit has 18 reviews and came out with 3.5 stars out of 5.
I like value in the products I buy but I want a unit that will work for me and am willing to pay more if need be.:)

Cary

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
"...am willing to pay more if need be." If you have the $$$ you will never regret getting a MEC loader.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts