Shooters Forum banner

Lefties

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  stevelyn 
#1 ·
Does any manufacturer make a left ejecting pistol?? I’m trying to help a friend pick a pistol and start shooting, but he’s a leftie, has to keep ducking empties and getting bit with hot brass. Any suggestions or ideas??

#3 ·
Your best bet might be one of the overhead and behind, bikini-shedder autos? They can be terribly entertaining at times. 1911s can be made to eject in creative ways and most any fixed ejector pistol can be 'tuned' to throw empties in various directions.

Reactions: jimboro
#4 ·
Don't know what he's shooting, but sounds like the ejector needs to be modified a bit. Wear a hat ;) Getting a hot case between your glasses and cheek isn't fun!

I can shoot my 1911 left handed, cases don't come near my head.

#5 ·
What's he shooting that keeps hitting him with brass . I shoot left handed , never any problems with 1911's , Walther PPK , Walther P38 , Ruger MKI Target , MKII Standard , S&W Model 41 , Springfield Armory 9mm , Star model PS 45 acp ... just hold the gun out in front of you , at arms length , ejected shells should go to the right , it they are coming back and hitting your head then the extractor / ejector needs repair , replacement or adjustment .
Fired brass shouldn't be a problem ...even for a left hander .
To answer your question ... I know of no left handed , left side ejecting handguns ... revolver is easy answer !
Gary

#11 ·
I am thinking it is the type of hand gun. Maybe you would want to tell us the type of handgun that is the problem? Broomhandles and Lugers will drop the casings on your head and down your shirt collar. Some of the modern autos have the extractor on top and use it as a chamber indicator. These likely could be the problem. A large brim hat can catch the most of the casings. When I shoot the 1866 and 1873 Winchesters most of the shell casings end up on top of that hat. Someone made a left handed 1911 at one time but it seemed really weird to me. I don't have any problems with the 1911. Maybe this is why I like revolvers so much.

#12 ·
The only LH ejecting pistols I can recall were Randall and the Falcon Arms Portsider, both custom or semi-custom 1911s. Left-hand specific pistols just aren't necessary in this day and age of modern ambidextrous pistols.

You didn't mention the make and model of pistol. I'm a LH shooter and only ran across one pistol that ever gave me problems with ejected cases beaning me in the face and on the head. It was a 1990s manufactured Llama Minimax in .45ACP. The issue stopped after a 500 round break-in. But there are pistols out there where the angle cut on the ejector may be too shallow and need stoning at a steeper angle. Ejectors that are beveled back a little too much tend to throw empties back at the shooter. Beveled too far forward and cases tend to bounce off the front of the ejection port, sometimes to the point of inducing stoppages.
Maybe run more rounds through it to see if a break-in period solves the problem or find someone who can stone a more forward angle on the ejector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.