Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not long too long ago, I began to have a growing desire for an 1876, preferably in 45-60 being that brass can be made from 45-70 and I already have and load for 45-70 so projectiles and dies are already on the shelf.

So, I'm looking pretty hard at the current Uberti offerings for a couple different reasons, one being that while it would be nice to own an original, they are among the most expensive antique Winnies on the market, and second being that this is something I intend to shoot and even hunt with. I'm more interested having a functional, working piece than a conversational piece that may or may not be safe to shoot and use and costs at least twice as much. I understand the mechanical differences between the '76 and '86 and already have a modern '86. True FFg BP is very hard to come by here locally, and with Goex being defunct, I can't imagine that situation improving. Of course there's always the Pyrodex alternative which I can get right now at a hardware store 2 miles from where I am now sitting...Anyway, that said, I would be looking to make my own ammo keeping to smokeless loads that duplicate the old BP pressures. I would like to eventually have at least one of each model of Winchester repeater someday, and the '76 is the model that is itching me the most to fill the next gap. I just love the old big bore lever rifles.

So my questions are these: Anyone have a Uberti 1876? How do you like it? Is there something about it you don't like?

Also, from what I've been able to find, it seems Uberti and Cimarron might be the only game in town for a quality repro 1876. I really like the looks of the Cimarron Tom Horn model. Are there any other brands I might be missing that would be worth considering? Thoughts on Cimarron vs Uberti?

Love to hear some 1876 stories, vintage genuine article or modern reproduction.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have one, but I wish I did. The '76 is a cool piece of history, and the favorite of Teddy Roosevelt back in the black powder era. I think of them as the .30-30 of black powder cartridges; I think of it as a moderate cartridge.

No doubt it will be a rifle you'll enjoy and take pride in. Loading .45-60 would be fun, black or smokeless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First off, Cimmeron is only an importer, not a manufacturer. Uberti is the manufacturer, and currently the only one making a 76. I have 2, an older full length 28" 45/75, and a newish Presidio Texas Ranger model in 50/95. If you want smokeless load, I would recommend building your loads with 350 gr cast bullets and a choice of 5744, 2400, Trail Boss, imr 4198, Shooters World Buffalo Rifle powder.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I myself am a little surprised that we aren't about 2 pages deep by now with reviews and experiences with the Uberti 1876. But that's OK, it's hunting season in most places right now, people have lives to live. I'm sure we'll get some input.

Side note, I have a lead on a lightly used Uberti 1876 rifle in 45-60 for $1000 from a friend. He's in no hurry to sell, and my savings I have at the moment is earmarked for some work Turnbull is doing on my 1886 that is estimated to be complete shortly after the new year. Once that is squared away, I'm going after that 1876! 😁

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the meantime, I'm also looking for advice on making ammo suitable for the '76 using smokeless loads that mirror BP loads. I have zero desire or intent to hot rod this rifle.

It's commonly accepted that 45-60 brass can be made pretty easily from 45-70 brass. But also I've heard that some 45-70 brass rims are a little too thick. Im told the '76 I'm interested in doesn't like Starline 45-70 rims. I have a small stash of 45-70 brass that is Winchester and Remington. Hopefully some of that will be suitable.

So in a nutshell, I'm interested in hearing just about anything in terms of stories, advice, etc to do with the '76 and the 45-60 cartridge.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I recently (in the last month) was perusing Collector's Firearms in Houston and they had a number of 1876's in stock. Here is a link for what they have for sale. On-line they are generally high, but I have bargained them down considerably on a couple of shotguns in the last few years.

My Dad loved the 1973 (his Dad was born in 1873...go figure). He was given one in 32-20 as payment for services and wound up picking up a 44-40 and a 38-40 after that. My Brother got the 38-40 and I kept the other two. It wasn't until several years ago that I found out that my 32-20 was cut down to make a saddle gun. It is still worth a pretty penny even in poor and altered condition. The 44-40 is missing the dust cover and the hammer is so worn it won't cock when the action is cycled. I still love it.

My Wife received her PHD in Behavior Science in December 2011 and planned a trip for us to coincide with one of the National Certification Conferences in San Francisco in May 2012. We took an 8 week road trip that connected us with many family members and we drove through 12 states and 8000 miles.

I got a concession and we spent a day in Cody Wyoming (before 4 days in Yellowstone) and I got to go through the Cody Firearms Museum. It was WONDERFUL. If you ever get a chance...go. So many pristine firearms from are past are there.

I also know this is an 1876 thread, but I need to tell this story. When I was working at my shooting range in around 1982 a young Coast Guard Seaman came in with an unknown lever action in a pillow case and a shoe box. It was completely taken apart. He lived in a cheap apartment complex on the East end of Galveston and had an elderly neighbor that had given it to him and explained that he had taken it apart to clean it ~30 years earlier and had gotten scared and just put it away in the pillow case and shoe box! The Seaman wanted to know what I would charge to clean it and put it back together. It was pretty filthy...

In hindsight, I probably should have offered him a couple hundred bucks for it...BUT I didn't do it. I charged him $40.00 to clean and reassemble it. DOH

Every screw and every part was there.

It was an 1886 in 33 WCF. I still kick myself for not buying it from the young man and giving him a nice profit an myself a nice piece of history. Oh well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So back in the day, THE nitro for black load was; IMR 4198 loaded at 40% of the original black powder load, and use Dacron as a filler. That load always worked for me, but I mostly shot it in old British double rifles.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just when you've about lost all hope in humanity, some kind soul reminds you that all hope is not lost after all...

So this online friend of mine with the '76... I sold a couple things I wasn't using and let him know I had sent a good faith deposit of $500 for the rifle. He turns around and decides to take the rifle along with 60 or so brass to his FFL for shipment to my FFL because he was already shipping another rifle to someone else and decided to do it all in one trip. I was taken aback by this and told him that by no means do I ever ask, want, or expect anyone to ship anything to me until paid in full. His response was that he wasn't worried about it and wanted to see it in my hands to enjoy sooner rather than later. I know this fellow pretty well and he has a very good reputation in the community we both belong to, so I'm 1000% sure he isn't scamming me. So all of that being the case, I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the remaining balance in full with a credit card. I just can't leave a guy like that hanging for weeks waiting for the rest.

So, I happened over to Midway to add a 45-60 die set to my wish list, lo and behold they have the RCBS Legacy 45-60 die set in stock! Needless to say, that's due to arrive at my door on Monday. The rifle probably won't arrive at my FFL till late next week as the seller seemed to think his FFL wasn't likely to ship this week due to the holiday. I'm very excited to get this '76 home! Just need to get myself a little stash of 300gr cast boolits for it and I'll be off to the races!

Any recommendations for cast bullets fellas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is great news for you! Happy Thanksgiving! I'd say to use 350 gr bullets, .459 diameter. That's what I use for my 45/75. They are Lazer Cast, but I speculate most any flatnose 350gr bullet will work. Now, ifn you going to use black powder, you will need bullets with black powder lube, such as SPG. Do go to the links I posted above and join us. We have a great group of dedicated 76 shooters filled with knowledge. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new rifle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to sign up today. I've been looking at alot of 45-70 data from trapdoor level to the higher levels and see some powders listed across the scale, 5744 being one of them. I've been slowly getting a pound or two of powder here and there over the last year trying to build up a descent supply. Unfortunately, I haven't picked up IMR4198 yet. The IMR powders seem to be one of the brands that don't cycle back into stock as often as some others.

I did find a PDF article about developing mild smokeless loads that mimic the black powder loads using both AA5744 and IMR4198 for a modern 1876 that seems promising. Again, I have absolutely no desire or intent to attempt to "hot-rod" this rifle, I have a modern 1886 for that type of thing. This is about something different, nostalgia, the pleasure of stepping back to the time I wish I was born in. It seems the as-designed bullet weight for 45-60 WCF is a 300gr cast. I just ordered 250 cast 300gr boolits for use with smokeless. I may at some point give Pyrodex a try just for the fun of it, but that will be a conversation for another day as I have some questions on that subject. I have experience shooting and hunting with my old school TC Renegade muzzle loader using traditional Goex FFG, but I never tried Pyrodex. I did try Triple 7 once when I needed more FFG black and couldn't find any locally, but it didn't perform as well in my side hammer percussion rifle as traditional black does. Had ignition issues up the wazoo. All of that said to say this, my only BP experience is limited to my muzzle loader and have never loaded metallic cartridges with BP. Sounds like fun though and I predict I'll stick my toe in that water at some point in the not too distant future.

Well, I'm off to Cascity.com, thank you for the link and help! See ya there

1 - 20 of 23 Posts