Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the best chrony for the money l do a lot of shooting and need your view on witch one l should buy l had a chrony F1 and didnt like it .

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Let me make clear that I have only owned one chronograph and it is the only one that I have experience using. I have had a Oehler Research Model 35 for about 10 years. It still works, it has never broken, and has given me good results for the entire time I have owned it. The base model, with 2 skyscreens, is $195. You can add the third skyscreen by simply purchasing it and plugging it in. You can also add a printer if you desire, which cost $145 and can be added after the fact with no problems. You can buy the whole system, with printer and three skyscreens, for $345 if it's in the budget. The advantage of the three skyscreen setup is that it actually measures the velocity twice and lets you know if you've gotten a bad or questionable reading. These systems are not as easy to set up as a Chrony because the skyscreens are spaced further and require 2 tripods to set up, as opposed to one for the Chrony. The upside is that the control unit is next to you on the bench so it is easier to read. If you happen to shoot the skyscreens you can replace any piece of them as opposed to buying a new chronograph with the Chrony system. I think the Chrony is cheesy, but I realize that it has brought a chronograph into use by many more shooters than would have otherwise obtained one, which is a good thing. Oehler makes the most advanced chronograph equipment available that I'm aware of, including the equipment used by the military, so I'm guessing they know what it's all about.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,172 Posts
horseman,
What didn't you like about your Chrony? I plunked down my $89 three years ago for one of the Chrony's with the display/control unit separate so I could run it from the bench, and I've been totally satisfied. It has performed on days when the light conditions were giving other guys' chronographs fits, operates from at least 20 degrees to 80 degrees, and gave velocities that compared favorably with another fellow's Oehler one day at the range. I realize it is NOT as advanced a unit as the Oehler, but for the price I think it's a bargain! IDShooter

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My father and I have two chronographs. We split the cost of a Oehler 35P and he bought a Chrony Master Beta.
We have had theOehler considerably longer and have more experiance with it. The 35P is a lot of chronograph for the money. The printer is a very nice feature. The third skyscreen is really nice. It can save the day when firing long strings.
Sun in the early morning or late afternoon can affect any chronograph. The two velocity readings help to avoid confusion.
The Chrony is a bit easier to set up. When we just want to checka velocity or we are loading at the bench looking for a specific velocity, as with light loads, the Chrony is very useful. The memory is large enough to hold a number of strings so if you prepare in advance you dont have to write anything down at the range. This is a significant feature if you are shooting on a public range.

The only problem we have ever had with the Oelher is that it does not like dirt. Here in West Texas we have a lot of blowing dirt. It will clog the printer and cause errors or miss some shots. This is not a fault, you just need to be aware that if you use it in a really dirty area it needs to be cleaned once in awhile.

The chrony shrugs off dirt and rain without a thought.

If you own a chronograph you are going to shoot it. The Oehler sky skreen holders are cheap and easy to replace.

The Chrony box for the Master Beta is $34.00. I just bought one. If you ever wondered, a .22 K-Hornet with a Remington hollow point will drill straight through one.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,136 Posts
I've had a couple of Chronys in the past. Presently have both the Pact PC2 and the Oehler 35.

Chronys were always fast to set up and are reasonably accurate, but only have one foot separating the sensors. The Pact has 2 feet, while the Oehler has 3 sensors set 2 feet apart. The Chronys were the most sensitive to lighting needs and stray signals. The Pact is not as time consuming to set up as the Oehler, in that you can mount the screen bar on one tripod. As stated, the Oehler requires two tripods (although an outfit in Washington sells a special single tripod for the Oehler - big bucks!)

All said and done, the Oehler gives the most consistent readings and is as rugged as an M1Al tank. Has some old time technology in it, but as reliable as the dickens.

When wanting portibility and setup time is a factor, I take the Pact PC2. Pretty darn'd good unit in it's own right.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Kdub,
The Oehler can be set up for spacing that exceeds 2 feet. I don't have my book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it will go to at least 8', or 4' between two sets of skyscreens, I don't know how much of a bonus this is, as I only use a 4' rail with three skyscreens on it. I don't veiw the two tripods as a curse all the time. It takes a little more time to set up, but it ensures you can make the mounting rail parallel to the plane on which you are going to be shooting. If the rail, or the chrony, are not level with plane on which you intend to shoot, the distance between the screens is increased, which however small, will give you improper readings. If you live somewhere where wind is a continual factor, like Nebraska, the two tripod setup can also be a hidden blessing because it supports the rail on both ends. With a 4 foot setup you can get by with using 1 tripod, but it's a little shaky. Stable screens are less likely to get shot and will provide much more accurate readings in the wind. If the screens are canted of the direction you are shooting, you'll also get inaccurate reading since the distance between the two sensors, in relation to bullet path is varied. Since I upgraded to the new style light diffusers with my Oehler, after I shot my side sheilds :(, I rarely have a false reading unless the sun is at some rediculous angle that makes shooting a scoped gun almost impossible. I know guys who hae used the PACT and have good things to say about them, but that's as far as that goes.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have been using a PACT Professional for at least 10 years now. I could not be more pleased with it. When a shotgun slug sabot damaged the screen holders, PACT was super fast in sending out new housings. They worked with me to determine that the sensors were OK and did not try to sell me more than what I needed. Four housings (in case it happened again) for $25 verses several times more if the sensor had been damaged. I could not wish for more in a product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Bore said:
I have been using a PACT Professional for at least 10 years now. I could not be more pleased with it. When a shotgun slug sabot damaged the screen holders, PACT was super fast in sending out new housings. They worked with me to determine that the sensors were OK and did not try to sell me more than what I needed. Four housings (in case it happened again) for $25 verses several times more if the sensor had been damaged. I could not wish for more in a product.
Thanks for making my mind up I think I will buy a pact it looks more stable and a lot bigger shooting window good luck on the CHRONY`s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Big Bore! Can't help myself asking; has anyone
ever been sarcastic and juvenile enough to point out the puns that could be posted vis-a-vis your 'user name'? I, AM NOT suggesting anything at all, - 'cause as we all know: It's not the size of your 'bore',- It's the length of your barrel! [chuckle]
Greystoke

·
Banned
270 Posts
I am using a F1 only because I am sure the day will come that i will shoot it and want to keep costs down. I bought mine direct from Shooting Chrony as a refurbish for $49 and shipping. It works pretty good but not having anything to compare it to I am less than a qualified expert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts