Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have .308 wildcats, .375 wildcats and .416 wildcats currently on the list, all usable in the Marlin leveraction rifle.  I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.  How about a wildcat in .358 so I can just rechamber my rifle??  The .416 Beartooth necked down.....the .300SWM necked up????  Thoughts, comments, previous research previously posted??? :)

El Lobo in NM

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
I'm about to start working with a 35 cal. wildcat based on the Marlin case. It's called the 358 Bellm. I've got it chambered in a Contender barrel. A 358 Winchester sizing die is used to neck down the case. The case length is 2.200". The neck length is about .5" I've often thought this would make a great cast bullet cartridge in a lever gun. I'll report my results in the Contender at a later date. I'll be using the LBT 215 gr. FN bullet to start with. The neck length is perfect for it.

Regards

:cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Run standard 30/40 Krag brass through a 35Rem sizing die and see what you get.  It's easy to do and the result is kind of interesting.  I'm sure this idea isn't new, I read about it somewhere a while back.  
(Contender.... 358Bellm .... hmmm, ya got me wonderin')

·
Registered
32 Posts
I to have a 358 wildcat in a T/C Contender.  Mine is the 358 JDJ and it is in a T/C Super 14 that was a 35 Remington rechambered.   The case is basically a full length 444 Marlin that has been necked down to .358 and fireformed to an improved case.  This cartridge allows me to take 180 grain bullets to 2500 fps, 200 grain bullets to 2400-2450 fps and 225 grain bullets to 2250 fps.  I have taken ten Whitetail Deer with this cartridge from 15 yards out to 305 yards plus numerous Woodchucks.  All loads used AA2520 powder and magnum primers.  I would dearly love to put this cartridge into a lever action and would like any imput anyone can give me.  El Lobo, please keep us posted on your progress with this project and good luck....RW

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Ravenwolf,

That sounds like quite a cartridge in the Contender. I'm toying with the idea of rechambering an NEF Handi-Rifle in the Bellm cartridge. Would be a neat little Single-Shot!

I'm up to about 2,050FPS in the 358 Bellm with the Remington 200 Core-Lokt Component bullet. Should be able to go up to about 2250 FPS or so. Not as much powder space as the JDJ. H322 seems to be THE powder for this cartridge.

Fired a 7/8" group at 100yds from a rest, so far, looks promising.

Regards,

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
two dot,

That's called the 35 Remington Rimmed. It uses 30/40 Krag Brass and is basically a rimmed 35 Rem as rimmed cases are more user friendly in the Contender.

Bellm cuts that chamber also and leaves the neck longer to get rid of some of the 35 Rem throats in the factory barrels. Some are pretty herrendous. He just cuts a new throat further into the barrel for the longer cartridge.

FWIW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts