Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Shadow
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 3-9 Lupey that died a few years back, and it seems that it has died again.
The really horrible thing to me is that this scope has stayed on some of my Safe queens....

In any case they fill repair it as usual, but I think I am done with them for a spell.
I have been really happy with NcStar products, but have been intrigued with the 10X super snipers. Anyone have experience with them? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Huh....What ???

Your done with Leupold but your in love with the $49 (~) NcStar's ?? Oh-Kaaaaaaaay ?? ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I had never heard of NcStar until today. I have the same stunned reaction as pruhdlr.

I have also had personally, and know others who have had absolutely reliable performance and product support from Leupold.

What failed on what scope?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Probably just some fella trying to sell NcStar scopes...never heard of them myself.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
NcStars have been around for some time. they are right up there with Famous Maker, Baraska (sp?) and others like that. they are a Very Affordable line, the 49.00 price mentioned above is probably close. still want to know what went south on the Leupold and which line it was?

·
The Shadow
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I expected no less from the NcStar comment. But no these aren't the $49 versions. They are the same price range as my VX-I, and the SS; Thus my question. I assume no one has anything to say on the Super Snipers?

The Lupey is a VX-I 3-9X40.
In both of it's failures the vertical and horizontal adjustments stop working.
The first failure was on one of my 270's. One day the scope was off, and wouldn't adjust. When I sent it in, the letter said that they had to rebuild it, and sorry for the trouble. This time it went from my 204 - to my 223. First box of Black Hills was good. Second box it was off about 5 feet. the adjustments won't move the point of impact. I double checked the Lupy mounts, stock, and re-centered the scope, and remounted. Same trouble.

There is no doubt that Leupold will fix it. My point to this post was to attempt to get some personal use feedback. Lupey always has been good about fixing defects. The reason I am going to stray for a while is because I have HAD to use the warranty twice now, in a few short years, with little use.
Is the VX-I as high quality as a MK-IV? I'd hope not, but I don't have the money to buy one of those. Comparing $150 scopes, not $1,000+ scopes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
did this scope die twice on the same gun with the same ring set up?
just trying to figure out if there is a misalignment with ring issues? i assume you do not have it mounted with either side of the saddle area actualy touching either of the rings? i would think and i would expect that leupold actualy replace the scope this time and not try to repair it. the leupolds have a piviot pin (an indentation) on the underside of the scope just infront of the saddle area. this holds the ercetor assembly in place. in older Vari-X II models it was further up towards the Objective and would get aligned within the scope rings a lot of times and would interfer with the adjustments of the scope very much as you describe. so then they moved it back to just in front of the saddle. i have an older Vari-X II with it out near the Objective and was an issue once. mine was a '87 vintage. anyway they changed the location around '90 or so on the Vari _x series and that design is what is on the VX-1 (which is basicly the old Vari-X II model). so if for some reason the front ring happens to be very close to the front of the saddle area, the rings could be placing enough pressure to restrict the internal adjsutments. just thought i would throw that out there incase you where not aware of the possibility. leupold sent me back a sheet on my older scope when they fixed it outlineing what i just told you.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Sorry your Leupy died on you (again) Darkker. Too bad; isn't that one you bought new just a few years ago? I'm also sorry that no one is reading what you've written. I have no experience with the SS scopes; sorry.

I'm a little surprised you're looking at a fixed power, but at least that would make the mil dots simple to use. At most any given price point (especially lower ones), I can't imagine there being too much difference between scopes, no matter the brand. The simple fact is that the price of low-money scopes is so low that it'd be essentially impossible for one brand to use super-quality parts vs. another using junk. I think that might be part of why there's a large factory in the Philippines making a whole bunch of scopes with a whole bunch of different brand names on them.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Well the VX II sitting on my .338 has only needed adjustment once in 8 years, due to a hard drop (its hard to knock off POI with those ruger rings), reading what you have wrtten darker i am forced to believe it is something you are doing maybe? if you wanna hang it up on leupold that okay, but i dont know anyone IRL that has had any issues with Leupold.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
I believe the newer VX I's are similar to the older Vari-X II's, which are great scopes in their own right. They have the resistance adjustments instead of the click adjustments.

Only had to send two Vari-X II scopes back to Leupold for repair (both resulting from my own abuse) and they were repaired free of charge (even return shipping) and returned promptly with a note thanking me for being a Leupold customer.

Sorry to hear of your problems with the one. I guess any manufacturer will produce a lemon every once in a while, but Leupold is always ready to try and fix their products.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well I agree with what some the others have said. My one Leupold is a good solid scope. If you are done with Leupold for a while, it is understandable. I would go with a Nikon Monarch or a Bushnell 4200. Or a Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell 3200, or Burris FF2 if you are on a lower budget. Actually, from various sources the Mueller Tac II is suppose to be about as much scope as you can get for your money right now. Here are a couple links: http://www.muelleroptics.com/downloads/docs/reviews/TacII.pdf
http://www.snipercentral.com/muellertac2.htm

Apparently Mueller offers more scope for the money because they do not have to fund the huge advertising budgets that the majors do. The TAC II is made totally in Japan (where their other models have Japanese glass and Chinese final construction).

·
The Shadow
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim,
No not the same gun(previous post) not the same set of Leupold rings either. Leupold in both cases, but not the same ones. Not sure what "indent" you are talking about.... The only indent I see is in the "Thicker" portion of the scope, directly under the vertical adjustment knob...

Bird Dog, thank you for the info, someone else actually brought up the Mueller eairlier today.

MZ5,
I agree with the concept. I was looking at a fixed 10, because I really like my 2.5-10 Tasco Varmint. I usually just leave it on 10 and does just fine. That poor Tasco has been the workhorse of my scope fleet. Definitely haven't shown it any love, and it is currently my oldest scope. That one came from Idaho days...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
well i called Leupold, the pivot dimple that held the erector assembly was phased out of the Vari-X II line by 1990 so you don't have an issue there. i asked him what could be your issue and i described what was going on. he said it sounded as if you ran out of adjustment. they do have some backlash built into the adjustments, where once you run out, the turrent will still move as if you are adjusting but there will be no movement to the rectical. (sound familar?) he suggested trying to recenter the scope opticaly and see how far off it is from POI. you may need a different ring set up? something with some adjustment built into it. if you continued to turn the turents after they ran out of adjustment you may not be able to get them to move back.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
BTW the method that Leupold Service Rep told me to opticaly center the scope?
they use the same mirror method i use. he said it is as close as you can get them when compared against using other methods.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Darkerr,
sorry to hear it failed again.

Every so often I have heard of a Leupold failure. Even saw one onceon a used vari-x-II 3-9 x 40 that on low power it was in focus but when you turned it up to higher powers, the cross hairs slowly went out of focus. Leupold repaired it and returned it good as new and its been great ever since.

Out of adjustment sounds most plausible. With the scope adjustments centered, where does the rifle shoot compared to POA?

Same thing two times makes me wonder. I wouldnt give up on them though. Do your due diligence to find out whether its something on your end and then ask them about swapping scopes this time and see what they say?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Millett makes some good rings with built-in windage adjustment ability. Also, the Leupold or Redfield Jr. one-piece bases with the rear ring windage adjustment is a good setup.

Yes, I've had the maximum ajdustment for both vertical and horizontal reached and the adjustment knob keep turning, but the reticle stay immoble. Recentering the scope and then either shimming for elevation or shifting the rings for rough windage always got the scope back to reasonable ajdustment ranges with minor corrections.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I been a Leupold rifle scope man ever since the early 80's and have at least a dozen or so of their scopes on some of my hunting rifle's. However, just recently I went the route of the Bushnell Tactical (with turrets and adj AO) with Mil-Dot recticules in the 5 x 15 power for for use on several Varmint/'Predator rifles. I saved a bunch of money in doing so and these scopes are top quality! I saved over $240 dollars per scope and when you times that by 4, it adds up to a very good chunk of change.

Now this is not in the same boat as trying to compare a $49 dollar scope to a Leupold and anybody who has half a brain knows that period. A scope of such value I would not even place on a pellet rifle. JUNK JUNK JUNK sums up my feelings on the subject.:eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A scope of such value I would not even place on a pellet rifle. JUNK JUNK JUNK sums up my feelings on the subject.:eek: :rolleyes:
acutally if you place most decent scopes (see expensive) on a air rifle you will probably destroy it. optics for air guns must be rated for spring air guns. they actualy are harder on scopes than most centerfires.

as far as adjustments in base/ring combo's go you can't beat burris signature rings and a pair of windage adjustable bases. between the two (rear adjustable base & the offset inserts) you can get that scope right near POI without touching th einternal adjustments. then just a few clicks to fine tune.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Darkker, when the failed scope was mounted on the gun how close were you to center of adjustment ranges..if in sighting it in and you had to run adjustments to almost the extreme end of the range this could have some bearing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts