Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the leupold dot? I'm looking at a Leupold VXII 4x12 AO for my .223 bolt.

Any other suggestions? I'm going to use this gun at the range (not competition) and an occasional varmint or coyote hunt.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I've owned one Leupold scope with a target dot reticle. It was a lower powered scope, however, a 2-7x33 Vari-XII. The dot was either a 1 or 2 MOA dot, I cannot recall. If I had to guess, I'd say a 1" one. For my purposes (hunting) it did not work well in low light. It worked great for me at the range for sighting in, but was not acceptable for low light hunting (certainly not it's best or intended use). I had it changed by Leupold to a better hunting reticle. However, for your stated purposes, I'd think it would work great.

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
I tried a buddies .223 with a Leupold target dot scope, think it was 6x18. I personally didn't care for it but my friend thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I thought it covered too much of the target, which in this case was prairie dogs.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have some dot reticle scopes that I use for target and varmint hunting - they aren't Leupold, they are dots installed by T K Lee.
For target shooting, the dot needs to be quite small, and for varmints, too, IME, or they cover too much of the target. One or two MOA or one or two inch dots would be far too large for my taste. The dots in my reticles are either 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch. At that size, they don't cover too much of a varmint at even extended ranges.
However, there is a big drawback: as soon as light becomes even a little bit low (dawn and dusk), you'll have a hard time seeing the dots.
Small dot reticles do work very well for target/varmint in daylight, and many benchresters use small dot reticles, too- but they are a specialized tool, not an all around reticle, IME.
Mil Dot reticles are commonly seen, too, but, IMO, the dots on every one of those I've seen were vastly too large for varmint/target use.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply guys... I think I'll pass on the dot reticle and look at a the long range reticle with the holdover points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts