Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VX-I is extremely tough to adjust the power ring. If its anywhere near freezing temp I need two hands to do it. Leupold says to send it in for repair.

One of you out there said you eventually loosened it up by working it back and forth. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Just screw off that thingy on the end that gives you scope-eye and spray some WD-40 in there!

Or...send it back to what is, arguably, the best customer-service department in the U.S.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Yup - had the power ring freeze up on an older VX-II a few years ago. Sent it to Leupold with a note and was returned with repairs and upgrades free of charge.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
they will claim they try to turn things around within 8 days of receiving. my one experiance had them a whisker under that. but remember that's shop time not shipping time either to or from. fairly decent time frame in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
No,No,No !!

Do not attempt to "screw off that thingy on the end........". It should not come off anyway and it has absolutely nothing to do with the power adjustment ring.

I had a VX1 that was in the same condition. I put a small drop of Hoppe's Moly Oil on both sides of the power adjustment ring. Then I hit it with a hair dryer(not mine) for a minute or so while turning it all the way up and down. It got somewhat easier to turn but not as easy as some of my other Leupold's.

And.........never,ever,remove the little set screw.

The very best fix is(after hunting season) send it back to Leupold. They will fix it properly,quickly,and for free. Also,that is the time to consider that reticle change that you've been wanting.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I own three Leupold scopes and two of them have a tight power adjusting ring. On the 3-9 power the ring seem to loosen up a bit with use. Got one a 2-7 power Shotgun Scope that if fine no problems of tightness with it.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Pruhdlr,

I was kidding...couldn't you see the tongue-in-cheek over the Internet? :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Knew It

I knew you was a whole bunch wiser than that.

I made a comment one day about the "hey,dudes" that work at some of the sporting goods stores in our area. I stated that when they come bouncing up to me an ask,"hey dude,like,man what can I help you with",I always(if I am truly thinking fast that day)say,"do you carry speed loaders for a Ruger Super Blackhawk" ??

One day a guy(not on this forum) PM'ed me and stated that he owned a Super Blackhawk and where could he go to get a speedloader for it. I PM'ed him back and simply stated "Best Buy". Never hear'ed from him again.

Imagine that !! -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I've got 9 Leupolds all are stiff to adjust..sort of standard. It is probably stiff so as to make it waterproof.

Last tuesday, I took a bad fall; head, shoulders, rifle/scope and binoc all under the water and mud. As I got the water out of the back of the shirt, thought 'glad it is a Leupold.

No damage to rifle/scope or me....just had my upper wool and poly dripping wet.

Simple cleaning of all, especially getting the mud residue out of the pillar bedding and all was well.

The Binoc were B&L and with that big focus ring I was worried, but they dried OK.

So I will keep my tight ring Leupolds.

My brother hates the tight power rings (he has two Leupolds) so much he has switched to Nikons. to each his own. I'd never put any oil/solvent on anything that has coated lenses or sealing rings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts