Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to lever action carbines (Win. M-94) and wonder if some of the seasoned veterans can suggest the best cleaning procedures. Using .44 magnum (Trapper) with cast and jacketed bullets. Any suggestions gratefully acknowledged. Best.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Buy a rod with a guide for cleaning from the muzzle, or make one out of a smaller rifle case with the case head removed. Leverguns have a bad reputation for being "shot out" the reason is the ramrod scores the rifling at the muzzle and then the gun needs to be recrowned. I own several wins and use a guide for cleaning them, the marlins are much easier to clean, all you have to do is remove the lever screw with the bolt halfway open and you can remove the lever, bolt ejector then clean from the breech, still like the wins but wish I had bought a marlin first. Take care and have fun with your new gun. Swany

·
Banned
554 Posts
I use a bore snake most of the time.

EDIT: noticed that you're going to mix jacketed and PB. You'll be much happier with PB if you clean every mote of jacket out of the bore (which is why I don't shoot jackets). So, you'll be on the patch-jag-rod drill (ref Swany's note) until you see blue no more. Swany's also right in saying that more barrels have been used up by cleaning, rather than shooting (a good reason for the less-effective, but safer bore snake).

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,969 Posts
The above are both good suggestions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Make your own boresnake

I have been using a homemade boresnake. I just took a piece of heavy weedeater string and cut one end off square and the other at a 45 degree angle. I melted the square end and made a bulb on it. The angled cut end I put through a patch and pulled the patch down to the bulb end. Feed the sharpened end into the breach and push it through the muzzle get a hold and pull it through. Do this a couple of times with solvent then with dry patches and it is clean as a whistle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts