Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my marlin 336 30 30..i thought they were pretty much jam proof.
what could be the problem..the gun was new two years ago..
it has had relatively few rnds through it.. i recently started using leverolution an am not even close to being capable of working on these guns..in 62 yrs of using bolt action rifles ..ive never had something like this happen..money is real real tite so i ll have to wait a bit if it requires a smith to look at it..it jamed open an for several rnds the action had seemed rough before it finally jammed open..help an thanks. slim

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Slim,
Is the action jammed open? I mean, you cannot close the lever because a round or more has jammed inside the receiver and now the lever and action are stuck tight?

The right-sized screwdriver is important here because the screw is going to be tight. Take out the lever screw. Once you've reached the end of the threads, you might need a pair of pliers to gently lift the screw free of the lever.

Make sure you're working in a clean area where. if something drops, you'll be able to find it.

Work the lever out. Once that's done, the lifter and other parts will come free. Don;t be surprised if the bolt doesn;t spring out the back of the receiver when you work the lever out, because of the spring pressure from the mag tube that might be exerted on a trapped round. If that happens, it's possible that the ejector may fall or fly out when the bolt does. This is why you need a clean place to work.

Clear the cartridges, put everything back together, and make sure the loading gate screw is tight. To see which one it is, see the manual pictures describing disassembly for cleaning. The loading gate screw is marked. It is the one straight back from the loading gate on the right side of the receiver.

Good Luck!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,276 Posts
Make sure the loading gate screw didn't back out.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
this happened as i was unloading the gun after a walk out back..
mike ,i took it to my bud whos way more savy than my self..
he suspects thats the problem..im weary of going into guns as
im just not savy .. its gonna set a bit before i can take it to larry smith[gunsmith]
due to money.. still i gotta say ..in 50 years of shooting bolt action ,,ive never had
this type trouble..it was gonna be my light survival rifle but ,im thinking now ..that i need to stay with something i know,, at least a little about..dependable an functional is the key for me.... i ll probably sell it..thanks,stretch an mike slim

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
slim 60; Like you, I spent most of my life with bolt guns...just got into levers a few years ago. My first was a 444 XLR. When I got mine it would jam, and the cycling was rough and gritty. I got a "teardown guide" and took the gun apart, and started studying the workings of the gun. When I had enough knowledge and understanding of how it all worked, I started smoothing and polishing the contact points, and making little adjustments here and there, to make it the best and smoothest action I could. My XLR is absolutely flawless now, cycles smooth as butter, and I have had many levergun guys be amazed when they cycled the action. Slim, these leverguns can be made in to "precision machines" with a little time and effort, and once you have one that will feed and cycle smoothly, they are a joy to own, and are just as dependable and functionable as any other type of rifle action.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
If it's still jammed open, follow post #2.

If you've already fixed it, heed post #3.

If you'd like to smooth and shine the innards a little, follow post #5.

If money is not a problem, go to gunsmith.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all..unfortunately i ve become,, shall we say financially embarrassed
due to sickness in family..
evereything happens for a reason though.. i ll get it fixed in time.. meanwhile i pulled the scope off of it ..then the cover for the front sight.. its a pearl white type front scope and in playin with it ..i realised i could use this sight even with my bad eyes.. so when shes fixed ,,i may have a 200 yrd gun that i can actually use iron sights on..now that would be a plus for old half blind me..so it ll all be good in the end..thanks for all the advice. slim:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I recently saw the same problem with a customer rifle. The ejector assembly sits in a machined slot adjacent to the bolt. It had somehow managed to get loose which bound up the action. This is probably because the owner took the weapon apart and reassembled it improperly. A disassembly and reassembly solved the problem.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep thats what i figure is my problem also.. im gonna take it to my gun smith
when the funds are available..
hes not gonna be happy that i tried to fix it myself.. but its kinda slim pickens right now for me,,so i had to try.slim

·
Registered
283 Posts
You don't need to take it to a gunsmith to fix the ejector. All you need to do is remove the lever, pull out the bolt, reposition the ejector so it lays in its track with the back nub positioned in its hole in the receiver and then slide the bolt back in. Fit the lever back into its slot in the bolt and screw the lever screw back in. The only thing you must be careful of is not to push the bolt all the way into battery before you reinsert the lever. Position the bolt with its face about an inch away from the chamber mouth when reinserting the lever. The operation is very simple and should be done whenever you clean the barrel anyway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You don't need to take it to a gunsmith to fix the ejector.
There is a very good video of the disassembly and reassembly of the 336, and it shows exactly what seatleroadwr is talking about. It makes handling the ejector very plain and easy. Don't be fooled by the fact the video is by a kid, he gets it just right.

Follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1YZ...6A856A32&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43

If the link doesn't work, go to YouTube and search for:

Receiver Disassembly and Reassembly of the Marlin 336 Rifle

Spence

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is me appreciating you guys.. but im a bolt man..
that gun is just not something i have any familiarity with..
took it to larry smith in albemarle.. he looked at it an ask can you stay 10 min,, wife was in the car an it was warm so i stayed ..10 minutes later and 2 screws that id lost loctited back in..i now have my gun right again..
hopefully the locktite will never allow the loading screw,that had backed out an was lost ..to ever come out again..the man is so dang fast fixing a gun its scary..at least to other locksmiths it would be..
i paid him for the screws an thats all he charged.. a great gunsmith an even better man..i owe him a lot for what hes done over the years for me..
hes accurised remingtons[savages don t need accurising]:Dan can do anything i ever ask him to do..i couldn t ask for a better smith..slim
ps..did i tell you guys im sold on larry smith of albemarle..:)if you happen to live in the albemarle n.c. area ..he s your man..but don t go to him dictating what you want an what you willing to pay..most of all don t act doubtful as to whether this old school gunsmith,, knows how to fix it..he does,,its just a question of whether you don t irritate him by dickering price..let him fix it an you will be surprised at what you will pay..

·
Registered
706 Posts
Now , go out and honor him ( the gunsmith ) and honor a good piece of machinery ( the Marlin ) , and shoot that rifle ! :)

Now , field stripping the 336 is not much more difficult than taking a Mauser M98 bolt apart to clean / lube ( I have seen them with the grease red with rust ) .

God bless
Wyr

this is me appreciating you guys.. but im a bolt man..
that gun is just not something i have any familiarity with..
took it to larry smith in albemarle.. he looked at it an ask can you stay 10 min,, wife was in the car an it was warm so i stayed ..10 minutes later and 2 screws that id lost loctited back in..i now have my gun right again..
hopefully the locktite will never allow the loading screw,that had backed out an was lost ..to ever come out again..the man is so dang fast fixing a gun its scary..at least to other locksmiths it would be..
i paid him for the screws an thats all he charged.. a great gunsmith an even better man..i owe him a lot for what hes done over the years for me..
hes accurised remingtons[savages don t need accurising]:Dan can do anything i ever ask him to do..i couldn t ask for a better smith..slim
ps..did i tell you guys im sold on larry smith of albemarle..:)if you happen to live in the albemarle n.c. area ..he s your man..but don t go to him dictating what you want an what you willing to pay..most of all don t act doubtful as to whether this old school gunsmith,, knows how to fix it..he does,,its just a question of whether you don t irritate him by dickering price..let him fix it an you will be surprised at what you will pay..

·
Registered
109 Posts
hmmmm, good to know about a good gunsmith..... Albemarle isn't too far from Hickory, 'bout 2 hrs. I'll have to look him up whenever I save up a little money. Good luck with your Marlin.....my buddy has one, and it is a good huntin' rifle......

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep..its a good rifle .. i just havn t found its niche in my operation..
when i find a way to make it so i can be accurate out to125or 150 with iron sights..i ll probably never want to ever part with it..eyes arn t the greatest..
if im gonna carry a scoped centerfire ,im carrying my 06..
im in no hurry.. i ll work something out about the sights..
she sure is easy to carry. slim

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Slim; If you get the chance, try out a set of peep sights. I used them for the first time last year, and once I got used to them they were remarkably accurate!!!! My eyes are bad too, so, if they worked for me, they should work for you as well. Anyway, worth a shot!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts