Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This is an anouncement for anyone in the North Bay area of N. California. The Sonoma County Shooter's Assoc. is having 100 yd. lever match tomorrow, Sat., Mar. 8, 8:00 A.M. at Circle S Ranch. This is about 15 mi. west of Petaluma.

Any lever action centerfire rifle with a tubular magazine. Only open or peep sights allowed. 60 rounds, 20 standing, 20 kneeling and 20 sitting on the ground.

Bring a mat or blanket for the ground.

http://www.SonomaShooting.org

Take care,
Jeff

·
Banned
3 Posts
I'm nowhere near California, but just out of curiosity, anyone know why they limited the match to tubular mags.

I suppose they may want everyone to use round nose cartridges. It that's the case, it seems they would just say so. I don't know of any other advantage that non-tubular magazines have.

Michael

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Sounds like it's in the 'cowboy' genre, at least that's what I perceive with those requirements. Dunno..... just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello everyone,
I know it was short notice, especially for those who needed to get airline tickets!

The requirement of tubular magazines is to preclude using pointed bullets which would give unfair advantage. I suppose the rules could be amended to just require blunt nosed bullets to allow the Ruger and Savage levers.

In the past, I have used a Win. 94 in 357 mag with excellent results. My load has been the BTB 185 wfngc over 16 gr. of H110 and standard Win. primers. 2" groups at 100 yards. This time I used the Win. 94 in 45 Colt. Didn't do as well as I usually do. Much more recoil. Good load though. BTB 300 gr wfngc over 21 gr. of WC820 and standard Win. primers. This is most likely too hot for most revolvers except Rugers, FA's and customs.

These are just fun matches, and not associated with the official organizations.

Take care,
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts