Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the firearms world and have aquired a winchester model 94 chambered for 32 winchester special. This rifle is a post WWII and pre 1964, it is in immacculate condition and has been ajoy to shoot with the 2 boxes of factory ammo I have located so far. In the area where I live (the real of 30-30 and 30-06) I am having a time of locating and ordering either cartridges or reloading supplies for this caliber. I am open to the option of rebarrelling the gun for a more popular caliber. How difficult would this be, could I handle the switch myself or should I bring it into a gunsmith, or should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Whoa...don't do it! The .32 Winchester Special is a great cast lead and jacketed bullet gun. The 32 Special is an improved version of the 32-40. It was brought out during the transition from black powder to smolekess, for those who still wanted to shoot lead and black. The lands/grooves are set up mainly for lead and black and some say they don't wear good with jacketed. I'd shop around for a 100 brass and load with the new BTB hard cast bullets " and forget what the .33-30 or .30-06 boys might say)...you have a great game killing machine now! If you are dead set to convert...think about the .375 Winchester and a rebore job on your rifle, but still try BTB hard cast bullets!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
192 Posts
Snowman,

There are many reasons to leave that levergun the way it is and only one reason to convert it. The cost of converting that old classic would be more than the cost of a used 30-30 of recent manufacture.

The 32 Win is a fine round and will do anything the 30-30 will. Personally I'd enjoy that rifle as it came and use the internet to locate the equipment you need for reloading. I'd start with Midway then check Wholesale Hunter. You'll find what you need.

Of course you hunting bullets will come from Beartooth, right?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Snowman:
  The guys are right about converting. Just one thing. I avoid the hassle with Customs and get my mail order stuff from Wholesale Sports in Calgary or SIR in Winnipeg, if possible. Wholesale is a bit cheaper and their number is 1-800-696-0253. SIR is closer and their number is 1-800-265-6245. SIR doesn't stock brass and Wholesale don't list .32 Special, but it won't hurt to ask. Both Hornady and Speer make a 170 grain bullet for your rifle, but SIR doesn't list Speers (of any size)in their catalogue.

It sounds like you'll have to handload. Get the Lyman and the Speer reloading manual.  Hornady's is good, but &#36&#36&#36. Try IMR 3031 powder for a start. It doesn't have ball powder's bad habits when it's 40 below. Lee reloading equipment is cheap, in more ways than one, but it will get you started. If you order Lee's kit, file the manual under Humor. Try to stick to one brand of brass. The faster the buck runs, the harder the kids snap the lever, so you'll need extra brass. Try both brands of bullet, your rifle may have it's preferences.

Bye
Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts