Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if there are many lever gun sillouette shoots around and if there were any in the Peoria Il area? Ideally, they would be simulated hunting situations in hilly and timbered areas. Thanks. REA

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
REA,

Welcome to the Beartooth Board!

Unfortunately I don't know of any lever gun-specific shooting matches. There is the Kenyathalon that sounds like something you may be interested in, but it isn't just for levers. However there is no reason they can't compete rather well. The Kenyathalon is a walk-through type course, with targets obscured to varying degrees and at unknown distances. Jeff Cooper has written about it many times, but it never seemed to take-off outside the Southwest. That's a shame, as I think it would be tremendous good fun and a useful learning tool for hunters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill,

I had heard of that shoot a long time ago. If the shots were in range of a 30/30 it would work. Everything now days is long range shooting I guess.

There aren't many places in Illinois that would work for that type of shooting so probably dreaming.

Thanks for the reply. REA

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Dear  REA,

You might want to call Paul Brenkman who is the contact listed in the Cowboy Chronicle for The Illinois City Regulators,  a SASS (SIngle Action Shooting Society )  club.  He is located in East Peoria, IL, phone 309-523-3918.  Most of the cowboy matches have a long range lever action rifle side match. Long range meaning anywhere from 50 yards to 500 yards depending on the club. Most common is probably 100-200 yards.  He can tell you what the long range event is for his club and since there are several SASS clubs in IL, he might be able to give you info on some of the others and what the lever action rifle side match might consist of.  

At the club I shoot, (Purgatory @ Titusville, PA) you don't have to be a member of SASS to shoot  (I am) and one can just shoot the side match if one wants to. Different clubs have different rules.

You also might contact the NRA to find out if any club in your area is holding NRA Cowboy Matches - competitors shoot at 50, 100, 150 & 200 meters at steel chickens, pigs turkeys and rams.  

In PA, we are having a  NRA Cowboy Lever Action Rifle match the last weekend in October at the Ridgway Rifle Club in Ridgway.  If anyone out there is interested, drop me a line and I'll send you a match bulletin sometime in September.  It's a lot of fun!

Sincerely,
John

P.S. SASS club matches require the use of cast bullet ammunition. The lever action rifle side matches (there are two categories, (pistol ctg. & rifle ctg.) allow the use of gas checks.

Jacketed or cast bullets may be used on the NRA Cowboy Silhouette  course of fire.  

(Edited by John Kort at 9:50 pm on June 6, 2001)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts