Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some old post on accuracy and lever guns as well as some of the responses to them concerning vertical stringing and poor groups. I have a 356 Big Bore that is driving me crazy with a similar probelm. In my case I get vertical stringing at times and also two different impact areas (I won't call them groups!).

The best I have done is 5 shots into 1 1/4" at 50 yards with the 250 gr. factory loads with a sixth uncalled flyer opening it to about 3 inches. Tried another group with the same load later and couldn't get any better than about 3.5". This rifle does have a VERY tight forend.

I have dealt with the "dual group" problem on lever guns before and have always been able to solve it by snugging up all action screws. When I did that this time the groups got worse as did the vertical stringing! The stinging now covers about 5".

I would be thankful for any suggestions anyone can provide! If anyone knows of any written material concerning lever gun accuracy fixes or enhancements that would be a big help as well.

There really does seem to be a gap in written matter concerning the techniques involved in accuracy fixes for lever guns. The only article I have ever seen that addresses this in some detail was in a 1965 Gun Digest magazine which I found referenced in the 1980 Gun Digest. I guess most gunsmiths would rather work on and write about bolt guns. It really does seem to be a neglected area of study! I had a buddy look through 3 of the various Gun Kinks books and he could find nothing on the subject either.

Thanks for any help!

Reb

·
Banned
109 Posts
Mabey?

Reb; I had a similar problem, mine was that the barrel bands were too tight.. I loosened them, then just snugged up, now The rifle will shoot better than I can hold it...LOL Mine was a 336
PS: the info on doing that was found on this site.. If you search the back articles, you will find the thread and information your looking for..

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran across this old post and thought I might update it somewhat with an article from leverguns that addresses this issue.

www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/chapter23.htm

Additionally I think I have solved a good deal of the problems I was having with my 356 by loosening up the forend and doing some file work on the barrel bands. Last group at 50 yards was 4 shots into one ragged hole and a fifth opening it to about 1". (scope helps too!)

Reb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts