Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would just like too talk a little about cork gas checks and see if there is any other interest or any information to be added by our fellow shooters.
There are two bullets I like to shoot out of my  45-70 1895G
gun(besides the LBT's) and that is a 340 & 405 FP plain base Lee bullets. I used them for medium loads but wanted to use them at around 1950 fps. So I used 1/16" cork material cut them out with a 45-70 case. The check was placed under the bullet, just like a wax check when loading them.
These were the loads I used;
54/RL7/340 FP LEE/ 20 BHN/ @ 1928 fps
46.5/RL7/405 FP LEE/ 20 BHN/ @1747 fps
Accuracy was 1"to 1 1/8" @ 50 yds. with no leading. My understanding is that this was one of the old timers trick to venture up the velocity scale. Would sure appreciate any comments or insights, for this is how we learn.

(Edited by BUFFALO BOB at 4:10 pm on Dec. 29, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Way back in their 1875 Winchester catalog, the New Haven firm suggested using a card wad between the bullet and the black powder charge for their Winchester '73 Cartridge, which they later called the .44 W.C.F.

25 years or so ago, I remember Elmer Keith used felt wads that he punched from felt hats which he also lubed to protect the base of the bullet.

I personally have tried, with good success, .060" thick polyethylene  wads and the wax wad material from CF Ventures.  I also understand that the vegetable fibre wads work very well.  

Buffalo Bob, sounds like you have discovered yet another good wad material!

w30wcf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John for your input on the other gas checks you have had good success with. I have heard a lot of good reports on the CF Ventures wax wad also, but have not given them a try yet. Thanks for sharing John.
               Buffalo Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts