Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a light load (lead bullets) for my .357 Mag.  Ruger Blackhawk. Most of my shooting will be targets at the local gun club indoor range. any ideals for bullet weight and powder load

Thanks
Bernie

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,227 Posts
You can use .38 Special load data in .357 brass.

For example, I use a 148 grain wadcutter with 3 grains of Bullseye in .357 brass.  Of course you can use .38 Special brass in the .357 but I use the longer brass to help keep the chambers cleaner.

Pretty much limitless combinations.  I find that this load shoots reasonably close to point of aim in my revolvers (when they are sighted in for hunting loads), a good trait to have.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,227 Posts
I think I had three paragraphs too!

Thanks for the compliment...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another great powder for light loads in the .357 Mag is HP-38, offered by Hodgdon.  I use .357 brass, CCI small pistol primers, 158 grain RNFP lead bullets and 4.0 grains of the HP-38.  It burns clean, shoots point of aim at 25 yards with every Ruger Vaquero I have shot it in (3 of my own and 2 owned by a friend).  The recoil and report is about like a .22 mag.  I have used this load for 3 years in CAS and really like it.  Odessa

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Bernie:
  I use 4.0 gr. of Winchester 231 with a 158 SWC or the Lyman 358665 FN (164 gr. with wheelweight metal + 2% tin) in .38 Special brass. The cylinder does need a good scrubbing after a couple of hundred rounds. Otherwise it's built up too much to chamber .357 cases. Win. 231 is said to be the same powder as HP38, so buy by price.  The kids in firearm safety love it. More noise than the .22 but not as intimidating as the .45 Auto.

Bye
Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts