Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk in a .44 mag. It's quite a handful with regular grain count bullets. Does anyone know the brand names and titles of plinking loads? I would like to shoot bullets that will kick a little less than standard to get accustomed to this hand gun. Believe me, it's a handful, but I am liking it. The challenge of mastering it is a rush. Once I learn how to handle the recoil, I want to learn how to shoot it accurately. On sunday, I set a soup can flying from 30 yards on my friend balcony out at his ranch. He had some guests over and they could not believe how loud this gun is. They were 100 yards in the other direction sitting around a fire and had to wait until I was done shooting to carry on a conversation. Needless to say, I made them wait a spell. Yeeeeeeehah!

Kirk

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
You may want to try a 240 gr LSWC with 8.5 to 9 grains of Unique. This will give you 900-1000 fps. This is a good target and practice load with low recoil.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a factory load?

I don't know how to hand load my bullets. I don't have a kit or anything and I don't have any casings yet. I'm going to start saving my casings from now on. Right now, I need to find something that is factory so that I can learn on that to start with.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Get anyone's .44 special loads. There isn't much, if anything out there in commercially loaded .44 mag that is loaded down. That's not what people buy mag ammo for.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.44 special loads

Okay, thanks. I didn't know I could shoot .44 specials in a .44 mag.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I believe winchesters silvertip load is less than full power and might be a good choice.for my tracker I handload 15 grains of bluedot behind a speer 210gd recoil is ok and quite accurate

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Check at your local indoor shooting range for "light" 44Mag loads. The places around here have cheap reloads that are usually a 240gr semi-wadcutter over a small charge of Unique, as described above. Compared to my full-throttle handloads, they are much easier on the hands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want gallery loads, good short range target loads, dont forget the 44 Russian. I cast 240 grn bullets with 5.4 grns of 231 in 44 Russian Brass.

Accurate and extremely mild to shoot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Casting bullets

This word "casting" means you make your own? Can I buy russians premade?

·
Banned
490 Posts
The Russians are a specialty item and will be hard to find except online, I suppose. If you don't reload, the .44 Special is the easiest answer to your question. They will be very mild to shoot, but, like any other factory load, they won't be cheap.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize you didn't reload. As stated above, the 44 special loads are what you need. I reload and shoot more 44 special loads in my 44 mags than I do magnums. Being shorter than a 44 mag, you will need to clean the revolver cylinders good after shooting the 44 special rounds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I buy cheaper bullets online?

Are these "Russians" you mention available online for shipping? I would like to learn how to make my own bullets, as well, but I have no idea how to do it. Now that I have this .44, it seems smart to find alternative to expensive factory made bullets. I really want to learn how to shoot this big wheel gun well.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You don't have to make your own cast bullets, you can buy them from the nice gentleman who foots the bill for this website! Go to the top of the page, click on Beartooth Bullets, find the bullet you want to shoot in your 44 and then start asking question about how to reload! It's not that hard or expensive, especially compared to the cost of some of the ammunition out there. :)

·
Banned
490 Posts
If you are only shooting a small amount of ammo, reloading may not be for you, but it becomes a viable option if you want to shoot a lot and can maintain a sense of concentration and deliberation while assembling ammo. If you make a mistake, you can have a very bad accident, so it must be taken seriously. But it is nothing to fear, and can be a great deal of fun and satisfaction.

If you have a desire to begin reloading, just save your .44 Magnum brass and you can reload it with a light powder charge for mild practice loads. You can get started for somewhere between $100.00 and $200.00 if you keep things simple. Unless you get to the point where you want to load thousands of rounds a year, you do NOT need a complicated progressive (automatic) press. A simple single stage press will be all you will need.

Watch and read this stuff and come back if you have questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYS_3VsmOP0&feature=fvw

http://www.ehow.com/how_4529363_reload-own-ammunition.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/reloading_handgun.htm

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/introtoreloading.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can I buy russians premade?
Yes, if you dont reload, you can buy 44 russians from people who sell cowboy action ammo.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
I shhot 25-250 rds. a week, and reloading is THE only way I could afford it. I load .357 and .44(special and mag., useing only mag cases). A complete reloading kit from Lee will cost less than 125$. Do not use the Lee Loader for .44(experience dude, does not work good). Load to your comfort level. My plinkers are 200gr. at about 800fps, a recipe from this forum. These guys(gals) are great, and are very willing to answer any and all questions. I have ask some pretty stupid questions, and they answered them all without making fun of me. Reload and ask a LOT of questions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You know you can load a .429 or .433 round ball in a .44 special or .44 magnum shell to give you a very comfortable pip-squeak load for fun, plinking or for small game. Pan lube the round ball then load it like you would a normal bullet. With the .44 mag round, you might need a bit of kapok or something ine that between the powder and ball to keep the powder close to the primer. Being they are light loads, you use less powder of course. You'll be bale to shoot very cheaply and all day. I use .360 round ball cas from WW's in my .38 specials. They cost hardly nothing to shoot and are quite accurate.
Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Like the man said.You can get started reloading for not much cash.I found everything i needed to make .38/.357 for $100.00. Now when you spend ,say $15.00-$20.00 a box for .38 and it cost $5.00 to make them, you stuff will pay for itself in no time. The great thing is you can make them to the power you like for what your doing..Have fun and be safe..

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have been loading the .44magnum loads since the late 60's and I use 240 grain hardcast lead bullet with 6 grains of Unique powder giving me 850fps. It has been a very accurate load for me over the years. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts