Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum. Would appreciate any experience on eliminating light firing pin strikes in a Mossberg 835 slug barrel. Using Remington slugs which have a convex primer - apparently doesn't help the situation.
What I have done already - 1) cleaned gun (disassembled ) to remove burnt powder etc from bolt locking lug and recess no help 2) disassembled bolt and removed burrs from the face of the bolt where the firing pin passes thru the bolt; cleaned up firing pin shoulder - burred from hitting the retaining pin; checked firing pin for straightness some improvement, noticed it worked fine with my shot reloads, but when I tried Rem field shells that my son had, strikes were light and had one misfire in about a dozen rounds. Bought son a snap cap to keep in this shotgun so hammer could be down for storage. Hammer had actually dented the face of the bolt at the FP.
3) replaced the hammer spring with a used one - no results yet.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update after replacing Hammer spring

Tried Mossberg 835 yesterday after replacing hammer spring earlier. All rounds went off on first try. All my reloaded rounds with WW 209 primers showed what I called normal firing pin indent and primer cup and battery cup showed flattening. However Rem factory field loads with convex primer cups did not have a deep, distinct firing pin indent and none of the Rem primers showed any noticeable flattening. At this point I feel that it will work, but in a deer stand is not a good point to fail - it has already happened once.
Does anyone know if Rem primers are harder than others or are familiar with this problem?
I didn't think to carry another shotgun to get a comparison, just some other toys to play with.
Could also try other barrels that son has for this shotgun to see if the symtoms are only with this barrel - guess I'm thinking aloud/in type.
Once again any thoughts would be appreciated - Thanks in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts