Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this on the sixguns.com site and thought it might be worth sharing. The article, 'Penetration Test at the Linebaugh Seminar, has been mentioned in another post somewhere on the forum.  It's very interesting reading. "We also learned that Hodgdon’s Lil’ Gun powder is unsuitable for high velocity loads as the pressure and recoil tend to increase significantly, a fact that was taught by my front sight to my forehead. Garth and I both bled from front sight impacts, but I’ll have the better scar."

God bless,

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had similar results with a several different calibers, although I have not gone to the length of applying forehead skin to my front sights.

The velocities were very lackluster in the .32 Mag, .44 Mag. and my .454.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a pound of Lil Gun after reading an article by Ross Seyfried in , I believe, Handloader in which he surmised that Lil Gun might be THE powder in 44 Mag. and heavy 45 Colt.From past articles I know he found 296 and H-110 to be optimum.Now, as a first time "surfer" of LOADSWAP , I have seen Lil-Gun bashed. There seem to be some very experienced handloaders using this site,but I believe Seyfried to be an accomplished handloader too.So what gives-will 296 and H-110 remain THE magnum propellents?

·
Registered
131 Posts
H110/W296 WILL ALWAYS BE THE TOP DOGS FOR HEAVY LOADS. SMOOTH AND CONSISTENT  NO FUNNY PRESSURE CURVES. LIL"GUN GETS A LITTLE ERRATIC IN THE 45K+ RANGE. I THINK IN THE 45COLT IT DOES BETTER BUT 44MAG AND UP W296/H110 STILL HOLDS A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Although some have experienced great results with Lil'Gun in both the .44 and .45, I too share Jim's sentiments about the tendencies of this powder to unexpectedly spike pressures when working up a load.  It seems to me that H110/W296 still delivers the most consistent, predictable pressure curve in this regard.  It is my top choice.

I'm not bashing the attributes of Hodgdon's new powder, It does have its place, and in the .410 bore shotshell it is outstanding!  In handgun loads, I feel somewhat uneasy when approaching that upper pressure threshold with this powder due to the inconsistent pressure spiking phenomenon that I just mentioned.

Load Safe, and use what works for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the best application for Lil' Gun is for those loads that are a bit below maximum. H-110 thrives right near the redline but gets quirky if you back off a bit. (If you back off too much it gets real inefficient and maybe even dangerous - both Hodgdon and Winchester (296) advise against going below published starting loads.)

Maybe the way to think of Lil'Gun is as a powder to use between 2400 and H-110?

4296 - I think you may be talking about the article Seyfried wrote called 'Turbocharging the .45 Colt"? If that is the one he indicated that he had more testing to do on Lil'Gun before he would consider it tops. If that isn't the article then I apologize.

PS - A LOT of people overload 2400. I've seen some loads posted on the internet for 2400 that are time bombs, some of these postings were by people who really should know better. Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having never used this powder but I have thought about it.  I was wondering if these pressure spikes may have something to do with a slight compression of the powder.

I know that some powders really do strange things when you start smashing the bullet down on them.

Just a thought.  I figured that there are many people with alot more reloading smarts than I will ever have.  I just havent heard if this could be part of that problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 44 mag load is 24 gr H110, 240 gr JHP.
No reason to change.

My 357 mag load is 18 gr LIL'GUN, 158 gr JHP.
It gives full house power at reduced pressure.

LONGSHOT is Hodgdon's strange powder that scares me.

(Edited by Clark at 1:11 am on Sep. 25, 2001)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts