Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Shooters and Friends,
What limitations would you place on the .30-30 Winchester cartridge? In order words, what is the largest animal that you would hunt with a properly loaded (with premium ammo) Winchester model 94 lever action rifle?

Kindest regards,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't know as how I have a "largest" limit. I've taken several black bear and 3 or 4 (I disremember exactly) boar with my 170 grain handloads. Clean kills, all within 50 yards.
The .30-30 is also my all-time favorite cartridge.

DC

·
Banned
68 Posts
30-30 - that's some sort of used car warranty is't it?
"30 secs or 30 feet which ever comes sooner"

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Pennsylvania state record black bear - over 800 lbs. - was taken with a single shot from a .30-30. If I knew I was going to be facing such a large animal the .30-30 would not be my first choice, but obviously it can get the job done.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
The only limitation on the 30-30 is distance and animal being pursued. Obviously, at ranges under 100 yds, just about everything in North America has been taken with the 30-30. at one time or another.

Personally, I think the handy little Win Mod 94 in this chambering is an ideal woods and carrying rifle when hunting the usual game from mule deer on down, when shooting distances are kept within the sure killing ranges of the shooter with the particular combination.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Quite a few folks use the 30-30 on elk up here in North Idaho. One fellow I know has killed 5 bulls with 6 shots with his. I've never had the nerve to do it, though. I stick with the 30-06 and 308. But it's for my comfort rather than the inability of the cartridge.

IDShooter

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went elk hunting with a group of guys 2 years ago near The West Elk Wilderness (Gunnison). Almost every one of them used either a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 in 30-30. While that particular year was a bust for everybody they usually fill their tags. The terrain up there is almost all black timber so shots are short and fast. The ideal combination for a levergun rifleman.

Make mine a 375 Win.

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
The only things I HAVE shot with a 30-30 were deer and hogs (the big hairy ones, not the feed lot type). It's more a matter of the range than the power, a 30-30 doesn not lack for penetration at clse range and the bullets (the ones desgined for the round) perfom great...probably becasue they are specifically designed for that one round.

Doubt that there is anything that hasn't been killed with a 30-30...but the same thing can be said for the .22LR... that doesn't make it sporting to do so. If you can get within 150yards of the target, know how to shoot, have the ability to pass on "iffy" shots (even though it may mean you spent $1000 to be there and will go home gameless), then hunt everything legal in the lower 48.

Personally, "id want more "thump" for some of those "iffy" shots you'd have to pass with a 30-30...if I had all season to collect one or two critters, would find it easier to limit to a 30-30. As I have only a week/10days , tend to use an EXCESS of power in order to better take those quartering shots, or to take the 200-300yard shots.
-------------
Locally, where my hunting is more often (and the wife more understanding), have no problem comming home with just a smile on my face and no game at hand. A good day in the woods is reward enough. Often it's a 38-55, whicih is no long range wonder...but the local conditions are 99% under 100yards, and even if I took out the .375HH, I'd have done no better.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Hello,
The biggest"IF"concerning the adequacy of the levergun and the 30/30 cartridge is the Hunter,himself.
If he is just as competent as his battery,he can safely hunt Grizzleys or Polar Bears. If he is a little less competent,he can hunt Elk and Moose.
If he is like Me,he can safey hunt Whitetails and maybe try for a Muley.
If you want to hunt really big game with a 30/30 carbine,go for it,but make sure that you are capable of your share of the work.
Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts