Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following URL will take you to Linebaugh's load data page:

http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/dissolving.htm

According to John's 310/320 cast published data (personal loads at very bottom of page), 24 grs. H-110 over a 310 gr. slug is a safe, accurate and recommended load given to hundreds of satisfied Ruger shooters.  However, his load data found above this load table shows a max load of 23.5 grs. H-110 (310 gr. slug) running 32K CUP.   The "non" personal load data is based on a 7" pressure barrel.  Is this of no concern or should a correction be made?  

Tangent question:  Does the Hodgdon #27 reloading manual contain the original data found in the #26 ?  If not, does anyone know where I can pickup a copy of the #26 loading manual?

Blessings,

Alan

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Take it to the bank- if a load has been tested in a properly calibrated pressure barrel, that's the true working pressure. Never, ever take any load data as gospel. Start low and slowly work your way up. If you reach a published load's limit and everything is looking okay, great. But many times you won't reach what someone else got before you see serious pressure sign.

A few extra fps isn't worth a few fingers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Take it to the bank- if a load has been tested in a properly calibrated pressure barrel, that's the true working pressure"

I agree completely Bill - that's why I'm concerned about his personal load recommendation of a .5 gr. charge over his pressure tested maximum of 23.5 grs.  

Perhaps I'm simply having one of those brain "things"? :biggrin:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

Every gun will be unique unto itself ( I always liked that word unto). Pressures will be dictated by the guns individual dimesions. No two are the same. Starting low and working up while readin the chronograph is the only way. Never trust anyone elses data, no matter who they are. Half a grain or more over the book max may work in your gun and not someone elses, or vice versa. The best work I've seen on load development is right here in the tech notes. Marshall's 'Max Loads and Handguns' is incredilbly clear and to the point. Follow his instructions and, as per usual, and you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree MT -

I would never automatically load near maximum charges right out of the shoot.  My concern is for those (and I have corresponded via e-mail with some via Sixgunner) who believe that if a certain name (such as Linebaugh) is attached to a load then it must be safe, not work up to his load watching for signs etc., but just plain safe right out of the shoot.  

Have a great weekend all.

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts