Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the 40,000 psi pressure levels of the Linebaugh rounds, is a lever action rifle practical. If it would work the model 92 would make a great carbine for brush and close work. If the model 92 won't work then the model 94 Big-bore is a possiblity. The .475 is based on a cut down 45-70 case with a working pressure in the 40-45,000 psi range, like the 44 magnum. The bolt-thrust from the larger base of the 45-70 may be a problem in the model 92. The model 94 Big-bore was designed to work with 50,000+psi and is chambered in .444 Marlin. If anyone knows any work being done in this area I would like to hear about it.  

(Edited by ranger at 11:55 pm on May 30, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
If memory serves me, aren't the Linebaugh cartridges based on the .348 Winchester? If so, then the parent case's dimensions would dictate the action. It would seem that the 92 and 94 would be too small. One would probably need the 1886 or Marlin 336 action.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey Guys,

In a letter from Mr. Linebaugh, he said that he had some success with Marlin rifles converted to his cartridges, but no details.

El Lobo in NM

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The .475 Linebaugh is indeed a high pressure round.  In a letter I have from John Linebaugh, he states that the .475 works in the 50,000 PSI range, and would therefore not be suitable in the Marlin, or any other lever action that I know of currently produced.  The .500 Linebaugh, on the otherhand, works in the 30,000 PSI range so would be entirely doable.  However, I would personally rather opt for a lever action in something a bit more versitle, like one in .50 Alaskan.  Since the .500 Linebaugh and the .50 Alaskan are both based on the blown out .348 Win. case, why not just go with the full length 2.1" round of the .50 Alaskan?  It is a fantastic round in a handgun (12" Encore) so I can only imagine it would be that much better in a rifle.  As soon as I can lay my hands on a 1895GS and get Wild West Guns to convert it, I'll let you know if it lives up to my expectations, but don't hold your breath.  Conversion alone will take 6 months.  Anything you would want to do with the .500 Linebaugh you could do with the .50 AK, and then quite a bit more to boot.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Ranger,

As another option, what about .454 Casull performance in a rifle? The good old .45 Colt  can easily duplicate .454 Casull performance from a revolver in a 24" rifle barrel chambered in .45 Colt at a whole lot less pressure (30,000 p.s.i.) which is well within the safety margin that the Marlin '94 action provides.

If you reload, 23.5 grs. of H110 or 296 under a 330 gr. LBT bullet will turn up 1,640 f.p.s. in my .45 Colt Cowboy. This exceeds factory .454 velocity in a revolver and with a 30 gr. heavier bullet to boot!

This load was pressure tested in Hodgdon's lab at 30,000 p.s.i. and is courtesy of John Linebaugh. He shows it at 1,318 f.p.s.  in a 7" pressure barrel.

If you don't reload, Buffalo Bore has .45 Colt ammunition is easily the equivalent of this load.

A 330 gr. LBT bullet going at 1600 f.p.s  should do the job on most anything you might run into!

John  

1 - 7 of 7 Posts