Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I load a 230gn cast lead RN bullet over 5.2gn BE.

After finding some .451" old style Remington 230gn bullets today, I figure I'll put together some woods loads.

I'd like to keep from changing the powder measure as it's a pain. If I can just change the seating die depth, I'll be happy.

So, does anyone know a good LOA for the 230gn Rem HP bullet? I'm thinking I'll just measure the amount of the LRN that is seated into the case and seat the HP to the same depth. I don't see any loads specifically for the Rem HP, though the Alliant website lists something like 1.210 LOA for the 230gn GD.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Josh

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
In that illustration of mine that Chief attached, drawing #3 (from left) is best for lead. Jacketed bullets seem fine with #2, and often actually work with #1, but your extractor hook is getting a workout there.

As to seating depth, from a pressure standpoint, jacketed and lead bullets are not the same. Jacketed bullets don't have lubricant, so they don't slip out of the case as easily nor do they engrave into the rifling as easily as the softer lead bullets. They will raise pressure over what you have with lead no matter what. Revolvers can sometimes get higher pressures with lead due to the bullet upsetting to pack the forcing cone, but I've never seen signs of lead equaling jacketed bullet pressure in any of my semi-auto pistol barrels.

5.2 grains is a safe enough hardball load. 5.0 is what the military used when Bullseye was still their powder for the .45, back in the WWI era. It produced about 350 ft-lbs, as commercial hardball does today. The military has upped the load to about 400 ft-lbs, using 5.0 grains of SR7970, but your Bullseye load will perform in the same ballpark.

With that 5.2 grain load, you don't want to seat the bullet deeper than jacketed hardball would be seated. I don't know the exact lengths of your cases, so here is how that is done:

Measure the length of a case. Take my word for it that hardball projectiles are 0.680" worst case (military upper size limit - 235 grain projectile) and their typical finished cartridge overall length (COL), from measuring the hardball examples I have, is 1.270". Then calculate:

Seating Depth = Case Length + Bullet Length - COL
so,
Your Seating Depth = Your Case Length + 0.680" - 1.270"

With this new found seating depth in hand, measure the length of the Remington bullet, then rearrange the formula to get a COL for the identical seating depth with the Remington bullet:

COL = Case Length + Bullet Length - Seating Depth
so,
Your Remington COL = Your Case Length + Remington Bullet Length - Seating Depth you just found

I would take a worn case and make up a dummy with one of the Remington bullets and one of your cases (you can pull it down to load a live round later, if you want to). Use the illustration from Chief's post to see if it looks like #2 or #3? If so, you are good to try feeding the case from a magazine to see if it feeds OK?.

If it looks like #1 (left end of drawing), you can seat out a little further to match #2 and don't need to make a powder adjustment. Do check feeding, though. If it looks like #4, or if it doesn't feed, you are going to have to seat deeper, and that means you will have to reduce the powder charge about 0.1 grains for each additional 0.010" seating depth with this cartridge, powder, and bullet weight combination.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks. One slightly off-topic question: I've always heard 5.0gn is max with BE, but I'm seeing on Alliant's page that they list 7.2(?)gn for a 230gn bullet as max. What gives? Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts