Shooters Forum banner

Load for .41 Cal Derringer

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CoyoteJoe 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a DGW .41 Cal derringer. I wish to use Hodgon Triple Seven instead of real black powder. DGW recommends 10 grains of black powder. How much should I reduce this 10 gains when using triple seven? I understand that Hodgon Triple Seven is FFF3 in density. I plan to use patched .395 balls. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

#2 ·
The one most discussed is a 15% reduction in volume. So that would put you somewhere around 7 grains of Triple Seven. I personally would start at 5 grains and see how it reacts. A derringer is not made for accuracy, just a short range gut gun. So just load it down and have some fun.

#3 ·
Look anything like this one?

Friend gave that to me some years back; have fired it a few times and at across the gambling table distances, wouldn't want that filthy ball driven part way into me.

But i do respect the nature of brass and tiny smooth bore barrels. It doesn't pay to push them hard, and I'd probably use as little powder as needed to get uniform ignition (call it 6-7gr.).

#4 ·
Those old derringers at close range were deadly. President Lincoln found that out the hard way. Booth used a .44 caliber but at point black range it did the job.

I used to own several derringers and had a lot of fun shooting them. Mine were modern ones. A .38 special double barrel, a .357 magnum double barrel (which was a bear to shoot) and I still own a .45 long colt single shot derringer. It will also shoot a .410 shotgun shell. You better have a good hold on it when you fire, and at close range it really does a job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.