Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to use the 125 gr. Nosler BT in my .308 H&R Ultra,20 inch barrel, for beanfield and over bait deer hunting next year. I am going to fit it with a low light long range scope and shoot some 100 to 250 yd shots at the neck and head. This is precision shooting and very sporting if I do my part but at the moment I can't find a load for this bullet and the Varget powder that I use for my .308 and 30.06. Hodgdon has not been of assistance yet and Nosler does not list Varget as an option in their manuals. I will move to one of the proven IMR powders if I have to but Varget has worked real well for me so far. I want to start work on this load soon because a trigger lightening job may be in the future for the little single shot and that will require some downtime.

I have to get a good load and then practice in field conditions before I will be comfortable with this type of hunting.

Try not to let the type of hunting this will be, become the issue here. The area of S.C. I will be hunting still has no limit on bucks and a very liberal doe harvest as well. Baiting and running deer with dogs is as deep rooted in tradition as anything else anywhere else. I am very fortunate to live here and be able to participate in what is becoming very quickly, due to population infringement, a lost way of life. It's sad but true.

Please help with a load as you can see it is of the utmost urgency. Well, not that bad yet but sometimes I feel that way.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Chief:
  There's a rumour that Nosler has a new manual (#5) coming soon. I called Nosler about a couple of things several years ago and they were very helpful folks. They might have Varget data now, so why don't you call them at 1-800-285-3701.

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 5:15 pm on Jan. 19, 2002)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Hodgdon's web page list the maximum load for a 150 gr. Nosler BT as 47.0 gr. for 2937 fps.  While this is not the 125 gr. bullet you want, you can use slightly heavier bullet data in many cases.  Reduce by 10% and do not exceed listed 150 gr. max data and you will be OK until published data comes out.  If you go to the IMR web page you can compare 110 gr. and 150 gr. data and see that by choosing a particular powder, if you were to use the 150 gr. data for the 110 gr. bullet you would be perfectly safe.  Of course, velocities will not be correct and when you reach the heavier bullet's published max, there will still be some room before you reach the max for the lighter bullet, but why chance it until better data comes along?  This should at least get you started.  Good luck.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike Daly at Hodgdon sent me a load.

308 winchester  125 gr.bullet   Varget Powder

start 48.0 gr. @ 3050 fps

max  50.0gr.  @  3135fps

The max load is a compressed load.

I'll work on it and when I get it right for the little single shot I'll put on load swap.

Thanks Mike, Jack and Big Bore.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
Chief, thanks for sharing.

The .30 125gr. BT is surprisingly tough.  I once put one through two javelinas, at a range of around 50 yards, from my '06 (didn't see the second one).  Both animals hit in the front shoulder, and both dropped instantly.  MV is over 3000 fps, maybe 3100fps with that load.

Should do fine for small deer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Varget is a touch slow for the light bullets,you end up with compressed loads before you top out in what you could achieve velocitywise.  If its fast enough for you great , but if you are looking for max velocity you may have to go to a slightly faster powder.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have used  130 grain hornady and speer bullets in my 300 savage over IMR 4064 and 3031, with acceptable results.  I don;t recall what the data is off the top of my head, and i don;t have the book here with me, but i think that burn rateis about right.

Didn;t the last nosler book have data for a 125 grain ballistic tip?  I think it did, as it was the bullet i was looking for when i was looking for a 30 cal coyote load.

Hope you kill a great big one.

Steve

·
Registered
872 Posts
sorry, for some reason my last post was added twice

(Edited by whitehunter35 at 3:17 pm on Jan. 24, 2002)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts