Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to develop a load in my impending Ruger No 1 303 . I was hoping for about 3000 fps with a good 140 grain bullet. Any suggestions on projectile brand and performance or suitable powders and volume please weigh in . Rifle will mainly be used on pigs and fallow deer.:)

· Registered
13,252 Posts
I am hoping to develop a load in my impending Ruger No 1 303 . I was hoping for about 3000 fps with a good 140 grain bullet. Any suggestions on projectile brand and performance or suitable powders and volume please weigh in . Rifle will mainly be used on pigs and fallow deer.:)
I'm not sure you'll be able to get quite that much velocity from a 140gr bullet, but since I couldn't even find a company who makes a .311/.312" option at that weight, it might be academic. :) You can probably achieve 300fps with a 125gr bullet but if wild pigs are a primary target, I would suggest a heavier bullet at a more moderate speed. It won't be laser-flat to 400 yards, but terminal performance at reasonable ranges should be considerably better.

· Banned
434 Posts
GS Custom lists a 140gr expanding bullet for the .303 and shows load data that reaches 2,950 fps from a 24" barrel at standard (ie low) pressures. With this bullet and a No. 1 action and a barrel at least 22", 3,000 fps shouldn't be any problem but contact GS Custom and have a chat with them them.

Incidentally, this 140gr bullet will probably do anything a 180gr bonded bullet will do so it should be fine for whatever you want to use it for.

· Registered
13,252 Posts
Yes, if you are willing to pay ~ $1 per bullet for a monolithic solid with drive bands, you can order something from South Africa to harvest a deer. Or, you can use a more conventional bullet that costs half as much, kills just as well and is made on this continent. I suppose it comes down to what you want the bullet to do and how much you're willing to shell out for to meet that need.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys , thats a good start to know its feasable or close to. Im in Australia and Fallow deer are considered a big deal . Hunting for Fallow deer on public land is only available in one state here NSW . Which has about 2 million acres of State forest roughly.They are no where near as proliffic as your Whitetail etc. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.