Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a "standard" number of rounds to be loaded and shot at each increment of powder charge?  I realize that 2 is not sufficient but am curious as to whether or not I need to load 20 of each charge.  I have just started shooting  a 454 casull and quite honestly I get a little fatigued after 50 rounds.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Joe

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I am basically trying to find optimum loads for each 300gr., 335gr., and 360gr. hard cast bullets.  I, as MikeG stated, am most likely the weakest link when it comes to accuracy considering this is an iron sighted revolver.  That said, I guess what I am looking for is the most consistent ignition with each of these bullet weights(which by the way will be used for small, medium and large brownies respectively here in AK).  Hey, It's my lie!

From your responses, I get the impression that it is pretty much up to me to decide whether or not I like or dislike a load.  My problem is that when I shoot incrementally larger charges, I do not notice increased recoil for the most part (it is ALL pretty hefty).  

Yesterday I shot 5 rounds at each powder charge.  The extreme spread never got into the single digits with any of the loads and I could not for the most part recognize any obvious relationship between muzzle velocity and extreme spread as I stepped up the powder charge.  My starting load was .5gr more than that recommended by Cast Performance for each bullet and I increased the charge by .5gr increments.  

I am thinking that I may need to continue stepping up the loads until I notice a smaller increase in muzzle velocity and an increase in extreme spread.  Is this proper reasoning?  

Dan,
As for my wife and my friends, they both must be a lot smarter than I am since none of them will shoot my 454.

Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.