Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently loading 6.5gr CFE Pistol powder behind a jacketed 240gr softpoint. I was wondering if I needed any filler for that load or is 6.5gr powder sufficient alone.THanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,029 Posts
What do the reloading manuals say.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have tried CFE pistol in my .44spl not sure of the charge right now but seems it was close to that 6.5 ive never used a filler in any of my pistol cartridges. I found better results with Unique in the .44 rather than CFE.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
+1 with that

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,960 Posts
Or Bullseye or 2400

RJ

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Way back when, I was researching 44 Magnum/Special loads with Bullseye. Thinking if I should use a filler and read as much as I could find (pre web so I wasn't confused by "internet wisdom"). I read reports of some "chamber ringing", so I dropped the filler idea and have reloaded several larger capacity cases with fast powders and no fillers quite successfully...

·
10,960 Posts
I've shot a TON of 429421's with Bullseye and no filler.

I like 2400 because you can load it mild to wild. Much more forgiving than H110. It's my go to in 45-70 and cast bullets as well.

RJ

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Super Moderator
13,344 Posts
I was wondering if I needed any filler for that load or is 6.5gr powder sufficient alone.THanks!
CCAguns,

If your range's rules allow it, you can get some idea from your velocity variation. Set up a chronograph and shoot a set of ten rounds by cocking the hammer and (finger off the trigger, of course) pointing the gun up to position the powder over the flash hole and then slowly lowering it until it is horizontal to shoot for the chronograph and then gently pressing the trigger to fire without disturbing the powder position. Run ten or more that way. Repeat the above except pointing the muzzle down toward the ground to drop the powder away from the flash hole before slowly bringing it level to fire over the chronograph screens. See if the velocity differences you get are acceptable to you. You might want to do the same thing with a commercial load to see how it compares.

Note that with other powders like 2400, you can now buy and add and mix in about 10 to 13 grains of Tubbdust per pound of powder and blend it in to achieve copper fouling reduction. This is a bore surface lube that discourages copper from sticking. Like shooting coated bullets, this will tend to cost you a few feet per second by taking away a bit of the resistance the powder builds pressure against, but you can compensate for that with a fraction of a tiny charge increase.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unique is dirty but shoots great. I think I use 8 grs in .44 mag brass for a nice crisp target load...Not sure what it'd be in .44 SPL but probably close to 6 grs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Unique is dirty but shoots great. I think I use 8 grs in .44 mag brass for a nice crisp target load...Not sure what it'd be in .44 SPL but probably close to 6 grs.
Unique is may go to powder for .44 mag and special, as I usually shoot fairly light loads in both now. It is a fairly good all round pistol powder. I have been playing around with blue dot in the magnum and want to try some 2400 as well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
CCAguns,

Note that with other powders like 2400, you can now buy and add and mix in about 10 to 13 grains of Tubbdust per pound of powder and blend it in to achieve copper fouling reduction. This is a bore surface lube that discourages copper from sticking. Like shooting coated bullets, this will tend to cost you a few feet per second by taking away a bit of the resistance the powder builds pressure against, but you can compensate for that with a fraction of a tiny charge increase.
I've loaded CFE223 and can attest to it reducing fouling in my 223 and is accurate. It's not as accurate in my 308. The Tubbsdust might be the ticket as my 308's both love Varget.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I load more 44 Special than any other round. My two favorite powders are Power Pistol for full power loads and HP38/WW231 for target loads.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
skeeter load of unique and a 255gr keith boolit

Reactions: Highrider

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree when I had a special that is most often what I used was accurate and it worked

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
What do the reloading manuals say.
Good point. I've never seen a single load in any manual, (I have several), that suggested a filler for any handgun load.

With some powders, Red Dot, Bullseye, AA No.2, Titegroup, you need to take a look at the levels when you are done charging, as SOMETIMES, the tiny doses hang up in the measure, one load is low, and the next is high, but with a uniform fill accuracy is usually quite good.

·
10,960 Posts
With some powders . . . . . . .you need to take a look at the levels when you are done charging, as SOMETIMES, the tiny doses hang up in the measure . . . . .but with a uniform fill accuracy is usually quite good.
On an old timer's suggestion I've made several "scoops" for specific weights of low fill, fast powders. If one charge is a fuzz more or less than the next one, compared to weighing each charge, I still can't shoot the difference even from a rest.

RJ

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate the replies. I've got about 10 pounds of CFE Pistol powder and truly have been satisfied thusfar. Anxious to try Unclenick's suggestion.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Just wondering, will the CFE powders have any effect on leading?

·
Super Moderator
13,344 Posts
I think it all works by making it hard for metal fouling to stick to the surface. I doubt it's equally effective with lead because lead is soft enough to flow into the toolmarks under pressure more easily, but it may help. I know for a fact that if you smooth a bore surface, neither copper nor lead attach to it as successfully. This might be a good question to ask Hodgdon.

Reactions: TMan

·
The Shadow
7,703 Posts
Just wondering, will the CFE powders have any effect on leading?
The tin and bismuth compounds are there to tie-up the copper. If you have a copy of Hatcher's notebook, you can read about this 1900 French technology in gunpowder:D

Or call Hodgdon, now with a recent acquisition they a finally have begun moving past stone age ballistics techniques.

Cheers

Reactions: TMan
1 - 20 of 21 Posts