Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Redding 45/70 dies this past week to replace an older set of another brand. Upon sizing my first case I was surprised to encounter much greater resistance than I have ever encountered before. The Redding FL sizer die appears to have "neck downed" the top of the formerly tapered case wall of the 45/70 case. In fact the case resembles a giant 44/40 case, with a straight 5/16" portion at the top of the case, and then the normal gentle taper to the case head. Is this the way the die is intended to work?
Odessa

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Odessa,

The only cartridge drawing I could find that shows what you speak of is in an old NRA Handloading Manual. It shows about a 3/10" portion at the case mouth as being a straight section. So it would appear that this is the true shape of the case. I've also noticed a cannelure in the side of the case to prevent deep seating bullets on factory ammo.

Perhaps someone with more familiarity with this cartridge could shed some light on the subject here.

Regards,

:cool:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I, also, have a set of Redding's 45-70 dies, replacing two older sets that I have been using for a lot of years.
When I first started to use the new Redding dies I, too, was some what mystified by the strange 'NECK' on the old case.
Then after working with them, it dawned on me what was going on. I use a Lyman 'M' die for cast bullets. I have used emory cloth to smooth and reduce the neck expander, while leaving the flaring part as made. With my old dies I had a step in the case where the base of the bullet stopped. This using the old dies
With the new Redding dies I have an even great 'step' where the bullet base comes to rest . I think Redding engineered the sizing die to have that 'neck' portion so that the bullet would expand the case as it was seated and provide a tight fit and a ledge, so to speak, for the bullet base to rest on.
I also use Redding 'Profile" crimping die for the 45-70 which puts a wonderful roll crimp as well as a sized down taper crimp to the case. I can see where the lube grooves are on the bullet by looking at the case.
I get wonderful ignition, no bullet slipping while under the spring tension of the tube magazine and recoil.
As the old commercial said "Try it..You'll like it"
Jim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen, I will resume reloading with my Redding dies with confidence!  Odessa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts