Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m going to reload some 45-70 for my sharps and my marlin 45-70 using IMR 3031. My question revolves around using a filler of some sort, my background in reloading stems over 30 years but this is my second attempt at loading the 45-70. First was with black powder which of course filled the case. But now that I have the marlin I want a load that I can shoot in both. I’ve heard the marlin doesn’t like BP
So I like any thoughts and suggestions on loads and using fillers and what filler to use.
thanks

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,521 Posts
1)... my background in reloading stems over 30 years but this is my second attempt at loading the 45-70. First was with black powder which of course filled the case. But now that I have the marlin I want a load that I can shoot in both.

2) I’ve heard the marlin doesn’t like BP
So I like any thoughts and suggestions on loads and using fillers and what filler to use.
thanks
1) then you know that what the Marlin can handle, is much more than the trapdoor. Meaning if you want to shoot the same thing in both rifles, you load like they are both trapdoors.

2) I heard Anna Nicole Smith married for love, and not money. 🤣🤣.
Honestly though, when using 3031, don't use fillers; just follow load data.

Cheers

Reactions: WHITEBULL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darkker, I had known I would have to load the trapdoor loads. I have some 405 grain lead bullets I’m going to use, I was just afraid the 3031 wouldn’t fill the case enough hence the filler question. Since I’m using lead bullets do I need a wad or card under the bullet?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have heard/read many times over the years that IMR-4198, a 405 cast and the .45-70 was a marriage made in heaven, so 4198 is mostly what I've used. As said, use the load data. No fillers, no wads with smokeless powder. Alliant 2400 is another good powder for the .45-70 as well. I've used some Hornady FX 325 grainers that worked really well with both of the powders mentioned. Of course, I know that powder is still very hard to obtain. Not sure how many grains of 3031 your load takes, but if it's in the manuals, it should be safe to load. Start light and work up is the main key.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I have heard/read many times over the years that IMR-4198, a 405 cast and the .45-70 was a marriage made in heaven, so 4198 is mostly what I've used. As said, use the load data. No fillers, no wads with smokeless powder. Alliant 2400 is another good powder for the .45-70 as well. I've used some Hornady FX 325 grainers that worked really well with both of the powders mentioned. Of course, I know that powder is still very hard to obtain. Not sure how many grains of 3031 your load takes, but if it's in the manuals, it should be safe to load. Start light and work up is the main key.
I agree with all said above. I will add that Rel7 is another great powder for the 45-70. The 45-70 is the least fussy cartridge I’ve ever loaded in several different guns. Most everything seems to shoot well. Regarding 3031: I use a lot of this powder in several guns. The ONLY time in my life that I ever had the following happen was with one of my 45-70 rifles and 3031 powder. I loaded up some Rem 405g JSP bullets and 3031 powder to take to the range and try out. The first shot was a muffled misfire. When I opened the gun (Win High Wall) the bullet was lodged about six inches into the barrel and the powder looked like a glob of melted brown plastic. I had to drive the bullet out with a rod and give the gun a good cleaning. The powder melted rather than ignited and the primer pushed everything into the barrel. I’m not knocking using 3031 powder in the 45-70, I’m just reporting ONE case of this happening and it happened to me. I have no idea why. I do know that I no longer use 3031 for Trapdoor loads in any of my guns. I don’t feel bad about not using it, I get 1moa or less with several other powders so I really don’t care. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree with all said above. I will add that Rel7 is another great powder for the 45-70.
I have often heard that as well, but have not tried it yet. Am thinking that when powder becomes more available, I may get me some Rel7. I use quite a bit of 10X for 5.56 and really like alliant powders.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My daughters favorite load in the 1895CB is 12 gr. Red dot and a 350gr. Cast .. great for standing off hand shots ... we've tryed 10gr. Up to 13. gr . And you get around 680 loads from 0ne lb. O yea and needs no filler.. out of the 1000s. We've fired we never had a hang fire or misfire. . And a velocity between 1050 at 10.0 gr and 1300 at 13.0 gr.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could the 3031 melt down be a result of too much unused case capacity? Was it a reduced load?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks black hawk, 3031 is what I have and powder is hard to come by right now.
I saw where either MidwayUSA or Midsouthshooters said they had 4198 in stock on their website the other day, but I don't know how much hazmat they charge. At this point, I am more concerned with primers than powder. I was able to pick up 200 large rifle at my local store a few months ago, but gave $10 per 100 for them. I was so surprised to find primers, that I didn't even consider how high a price that was at the time. Haven't been back to see if they had any more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blackhawk, funny you should mention midway cause I was just on their sight looking for IMR 4198 and it said they were out no back order but thanks for the tip I’ll check midsouth

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi, I’m going to reload some 45-70 for my sharps and my marlin 45-70 using IMR 3031. My question revolves around using a filler of some sort, my background in reloading stems over 30 years but this is my second attempt at loading the 45-70. First was with black powder which of course filled the case. But now that I have the marlin I want a load that I can shoot in both. I’ve heard the marlin doesn’t like BP
thanks
You have two very different rifles. My answer is to load them differently or you'll not get the performance from the Marlin that it is capable of delivering.
Especially if you are going to hunt with the Marlin.
If you are just plinking, then one load for both is dandy.
That's just me though. I have separate loads for 4 different 308's and 3 different loads for my 45 colts.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Blackhawk, funny you should mention midway cause I was just on their sight looking for IMR 4198 and it said they were out no back order but thanks for the tip I’ll check midsouth
Sorry, It was Midsouth. Yesterday or day before, but it's all gone now. I'm hoping that they had some is and indicator that we will be able to get some components soon. I will try to go to my local store in the next few days and see if they can order anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks
I have reloaded for the 45-70 since the early 70s. Hands down my favorite powder is 3031. Consulting my old handloaders notes, my fave load was a cast, tempered ( from the mold straight into a bucket of water ), unsized, dry lubed 400 gr bullet over the right charge of 3031. This load, according to my records, would group into one big hole at 80 yards using iron sights. I also used 3031 for my jacketed loads with great results. I never used any kind of filler. I love 3031!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tex! I had heard that the 3031 is a good load.... but none of my books show a load for a 405 cast bullet. Still looking

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks blackhawk, I think I saw the same load about 48.5 grains..... but that leaves a bunch of air space no? So no need to add filler?!?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think I saw the same load about 48.5 grains..... but that leaves a bunch of air space no? So no need to add filler?!?
I'm loading less than that with 4198. Even less than that with 2400. No fillers. No problems. Good results. I would not put a filler in at all. I also load .45 Colt from time to time with very little Unique. Again no filler, no problems. Although, I do understand what you are feeling. I recently switched to Bluedot for a better case fill in the .45 Colt.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts