Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,860 Posts
Don't know about below minimum - but, have been loading 185 grainers just at minimum with good results. Depending on spring strength, the action may not function properly going much below recommendations.

Reactions: Reloader77

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to shoot and reload a lot of 45 colt but I always used unique because it fills the case better and you can get the velocity way down plus I always loaded lead and tight is not the best powder for lead and it leaves way to much empty space in that big case. With unique u can get a 250gr cast bullet down to 750 no problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trail Boss was made specifically to fill the case with lighter charges.

Wouldn't it be great if there was ONE powder that did everything well, and you could make it at home?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Skeeterbutt has it wired. Unique is my favorite pistol powder. It is extremely forgiving with light loads.

TiteGroup is excellent powder. But one has to be careful during measuring.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Titegroup is my favorite pistol powder. I use it in all my pistols. That 5.0 load for the 45LC and 200 gr bullet should do just fine. What type of bullet and weight are you using? Lead, FMJ, Copper?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Is it possible to load below the min to get the velocity down to around 750 fps using Titegroup?
You won't be happy with the results due to the miniscule powder charge in that huge case. If you want that kind of velocity, then get some Trail Boss. It will fill the case and provide consistent ignition and velocity. Titegroup will not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts