Shooters Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Ben,

If you look at the date, that post is five years old, and Enios hasn't logged on since February of last year, so I doubt he's still following the thread. I'm sure if you email Berger, they'll give you the same information they gave him, or something newer.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Would you be willing to share that data for the 95 gr VLD's. I have been looking for info on these and have been unsuccessful.

Berger finally has reloading manual with loading data for 243 with 95gr VLD bullets. Berger also has 6mm 95gr Classic hunting bullet for the 1/10 twist barrels and I've been shooting that bullet in my 243 with 1/10 twist barrel.

New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog

·
Registered
52 Posts
A couple of things that I am very confused about are what is the distance or should I say proper distance for shooting these groups? Second question is is a guy starting with a minimum load just touching the lands and keeping that same powder charge throughout the range of changing the distance from the lands? I've been working with a 338 lapua for about a year and a half and just trying to get the most out of it. I would think that Burger would give a heck of a lot more information on something like this before they post the information they have. Thank you. Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
dan68,
We suggest you start at 100 yards. However! The Berger Elite Hunter and OTM Tactical .338 bullets because of their length MAY need more distance to completely stabilize. That is why we suggest you retest groups that show promise at 100 yards out to 2 and 300 yards. As far as seating depth testing goes we suggest using the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing and start ( since these are hybrid bullet design) on the lands and work back in .005 increments. Then work your load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 grains below maximum then drop to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you will be checking for pressure signs and accuracy. All the loads listed in our reloading manual are base on MAGAZINE LENGTH AMMUNITION. But accuracy can be enhanced by doing the testing described above. This MAY result in a loaded cartridge that will no longer fit in the magazine. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A couple of things that I am very confused about are what is the distance or should I say proper distance for shooting these groups? Second question is is a guy starting with a minimum load just touching the lands and keeping that same powder charge throughout the range of changing the distance from the lands? I've been working with a 338 lapua for about a year and a half and just trying to get the most out of it. I would think that Burger would give a heck of a lot more information on something like this before they post the information they have. Thank you. Dan
Berger does put lot of information on their bullets, Just need to know where to find it.

Optimizing Precision And Accuracy From VLD Bullets

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Great information however, one of my problems with COAL is that the Berger VLD (I am using 168gr 7mm) is not consistent in length in fact when measuring the bullet itself they differ in OAL (Bullet Only) by as much as .012". This has been my biggest fight with the VLD's when loading them. I can't get them to shoot at all I will go back of=ver the post and try to see if I am missing something but, seems like this will take for ever to load any decent number of rounds?
Interesting, I'm working with the .308 175's and I haven't seen that kind of bullet OAL variations.

In fact they're a lot better than what I've been seeing with the classic 175 SMKs. Even the 155 SMKs have been a bit dicey on that one. The new tipped SMKs are better than the classic, but they do load differently (powder charge and bearing surface of the bullet)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Once I was brought a rifle to work out. He did not have enough bullets or powder to work loads. I used just one load and varied the seating depth to get some super groups. I forget the distance from the lands since I gave him the papers. But they would not fit the magazine, he didn't care since he would load one at a time for target anyway.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts