Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wanting to know where one could find loading data, Dies, Molds etc. etc. for the 480 Ruger and why am I hearing so much negitive talk about the 480. Did I make a big mistake in buying it?:confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Most of the current load manuals should have data. If you want to go cheap, just look on Hodgdon's web site for free data (www.hodgdon.com).

Also check the freebie manuals from the powder makers, these are generally updated yearly, certainly more often than the hardbound books from the bullet manufacturers.

If you like it, and enjoy shooting it, then you didn't make a mistake.

Not sure about moulds but someone else surely does.

Dies - Hornady for sure, probably RCBS.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MikeG for the come back. I did find some molds that I'm looking into and the gun does very well with the factory loads but I want to try some casting. I was given an old plummers furnice that I fired up the other day and it worked real good. Also is there any good mags on just casting bullets :confused: Also while I'm at it I just want to thank you all for having one of the most complete forums for hand gunners and your close to my neck of the woods here at Nine Mile fall wa. just north west of Spokane.
In His service
Bob

·
Banned
57 Posts
I wouldnt worry about other folks opinions.it takes a special shooter to love and handload and shoot a big bore pistol,especially a revolver.midway usa has the cheapest prices on componants,and the shipping is very reasonable.I wouldnt skimp on componants by using cast bullets,but good luck with your casting.let us get a range report on your findings,I'm thinking of a raging bull in 480 or 454.thanks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
"I wouldn't skimp on componants by using cast bullets"
That is interesting since the sponser of this site sells premium cast bullets...... Using cast bullets is not skimping in my opinion, especially with big-bore revolvers like the 480, you don't have to rely on expansion to make a big hole and you have a better selection of bullets with cast in the .475 size. I think a lot of people are choosing the 454 Casull over the 480 because velocity is higher. In my less than informed opinion, this is a mistake. If you read James Gates' article here in the tech notes you can understand why I think so. I have also read a lot of material from very expirienced handgunners on killing power. They all say about the same thing. Handgun killing power (for hunting) is not all about velocity. Another reason the .480 is not as popular as I think it should be, Ruger hasn't seen fit to offer it in a 5 shot version of the Single Action. A 5 shot Bisley variant with either a 5 1/2" or a 7 1/2" Hunter barrel would sell like hotcakes, if you are listening, Ruger. Of course I am a wimp and am content with my .357 and .44s.
Back to the subject, MidwayUSA has jacketed bullets and brass, as well as dies from Hornady, Lee and RCBS. Beartooth and Cast Performance both list Cast Bullets for a wide variety between them. Hodgdon has some loads on its website, some with Lil'Gun and h110 approach the 475 Linebaugh within 100 FPS. I don't know about molds, the guys here will tho, if you give them time.
andy
James Gates article MidwayUSA Cast Performance Hodgdon

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can't bring myself to edit my last post anymore. Hodgdon has a magazine type loading update with a good bit of loading data for the 480. Their website doesn't have all the data on it.
andy

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:p Thanks Andy, Velosity only counts when your in a rush at Micky Dee's. I usually hunt with a black powder 54 220 gr. round ball. all the deer that I have gotten over the years was with one shot and it always went all the way through. I had just a 80 gr. load of fff. I have not conographed it but I dought it was leaving the muzzle at much over 900 feet per sec. I'm looking for about a 360 + or -- 10 gr. That will leave about 1150 ft. per sec. The factory ammo in the 325 HP leaves about 1350, it's not a bad recoil but I would prefer to tame it down a little. Thanks for the come back.
In His service
Bob

·
Banned
585 Posts
MISTAKE? NO!!!!!!!

The .480 Ruger is really a .475Linebaugh short. My Tarus in .480 shoots 412g Hard Cast bullets (from hunters-supply) flat and fast! There is only 1 powder to use thats H110. 18.5 to 19.5 grains. I use a CCI primer.

You can buy 370, 390 and 425g hard cast bullets so have phun!

Reactions: mr.pepper

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that Zeppelin as in Lead Zeppelin especially if your a Caster. Anyhow your reply brought up more questions. 425 grs. is a husky piece of lead. And your saying it shoots flat and fast? so can you give me the spec. on the energy and speed out the barrel? and one more thing if you please--How is the recoil? I'm assuming your gun is the raging bull thats ported? I almost got one until I held that SRH. Granted yours is a better looking gun but mine fits my hand. I just didn't like the feel of that Tarus grip. Thanks for the come back!!
Bob

·
Banned
585 Posts
We used a Chrony and found 425g flew at 1150fps with 20 g H110.

heres some prelems on the bullet:

.125 from gas shank height with gascheck. 2 lube grooves .050 seperated by .075 shank,
crimp to nose .500, crimp to base about .400, meplat .450,
.325 from top driving band to nose

What the KO? 33.16!

I actually loaded up some 405 g with 19g of H110 and whipped them out at 1337fps which works out to a KO of 36.74!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
andy
I take exception to your 454 remarks!!!!:cool: Not all us 454 folks shoot our bullets at light speed!:eek: In fact most of my shooting is below the Max and it still gives me alot more power than I probaly need. Certainly more then a 44 mag! But if and when I want to shoot at light speed it's nice to know I can!:D Besides your 480 is only alittle bigger than a454!
The animal will not know the difference between your 370gr bullet or mine!:D

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight, Gunnut. I am simply saying that I beleive a lot of the people who do choose the .454 do so because of the incredibly high velocity it is capable of. The .454 is an awesome round, there is no denying it. I am also saying velocity is not everything, and a BIGGER heavy bullet is better than a big heavy bullet. A .475 is proportionally larger than a .45 as a .45 is to a 44 (.429.) A bigger bore will allow higher velocity with the same bullet weight at the same pressure. As I said before here, the 454 Casull is awesome, but there ain't no flies on the 480 Ruger either. Now, a thing to keep in mind, I am not claiming to be an expert. I also do not own, and do not plan to own a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger. A 44 Mag is plenty for me, recoil, price and ooohhhh factor wise :). I will leave the domain of the truly powerful guns to you all, and be glad you all want them, because anything a gunmaker learns about the big boys will be passed down to the smaller calibers too.

Andy

·
Banned
585 Posts
I guess it all depends on what kind of KO you are looking for. Best power listed at Hodgdon is for a 454 with a 300g bullet running at 1746fps for a KO of 33.9. That is smoking but its at 45k + lbs of pressure. My 480 pumps out a 405g bullet at 1337fps with a KO of 36.7 all at a pressure of 43k. You cant load up as heavy bullets with the casull and believe it or not my 480 in Tarus kicks less then the Casull even when I have loaded up 425g cast!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Guys.....PLEASE.....let's not have the ".44 Mag vs. .45 Colt" debate again! That was something like 11 pages!

Please please please please.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love the idea of the 480 Ruger. When I was shopping for my gun I was torn between the 480 and the 454. I wound up choosing the 454 because I can shoot light 45LC cowboy loads for cheap fun. There's no cheap fun option with the 480. That was the deciding factor. I was leaning hard for the 480 before that.

I'd still love to get a 480, so that I could have a pair of big guns. But I need to fill out the lower end of my collection first with a 357. With that I can cover the entire spectrum of power from light 38Spl loads through heavy 357 loads, light 45LC loads and heavy 454 Casull loads. That'll pretty much do on anything I'll be hunting.

I've also considered the elite caliber of .500 Linebaugh as the top end instead of the 480/475. Reason is the same reason I would have chosen a 45LC over a 44 mag. Size matters. I've "heard" that the .500 Linebaugh will kill as well as the 480/475 but kicks even less, or can be loaded bigger of course. I'm very intrigued but have laid off finding out more since there are so many other priorities right now. Besides, how many can say they've shot a .500? Rare company indeed.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys have been a big help to me on my original question. Not only have I found loading data but just about everything else I need to go with it. I like to keep things simple, One gun ,One bullet ,and lots of practice. I took my 480 out this last friday [after I had treeked it a little to shoot straighter] and was doing pretty fare at 110 yards, metal ram. I let one of my friends[ I only have two and one of those is my wife] try it out. He is used to 44's and 45LC's, and he was some what amazed at the accuracy and low recoil shooting factory ammo. He is a cast only type of guy and he told me he could improve on the accuracy but working up a better bullet. So I'm still looking for that one bullet that will do it all. Thanks again for your comments
Bob

·
Banned
585 Posts
Pooter/Shooter

Look deep into my eyes (-)^(-)
Your getting sleepy

Order some 412's from
http://hunters-supply.com/

Load them up with 18-20g of H110.

EVERYBODY is amazed how flat the .480 shoots once they tried it.

I have had some problems trying to load gas checks on .475's so I stuck with the 412's. The cases kept bulging so I gave up.

P.S.
Use KG6 and molly the barrell...

You can awakin now and order the bullets.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the SRH 454 And my son has the SRH 480. I can tell you from experience that big 410 grain .480 bullet hits! We set up some nearly 4" thick limestone slab and shot it with the 480 and it smashed the stone in an impressive manner. It took several hits with my 454 310 grain bullet to bust the stone. I know this does not directly relate to hunting but it is and impressive display of power. The 480 dumps more momentum when it hits something. My son likes the 480 so much he bought ruger480.com and is building a website dedicated to the gun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts