Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Krag but I do have a 30-06 and I'm interested in playing with 30-40 Krag level loads with either the Hornady or Sierra 220gr round nose bullets to about 2,000~2,100fps. This is mostly a "fun" project for after hunting season but I'm not sure if either of these bullets will expand well on game should I decide to hunt with those loads next season.

So... I'd like to hear from 30-40 Krag shooters who hunt with the 220gr bullets? Does the Hornady or Sierra bullet expand just as well as the other at these low velocities?

Do you Krag shooters limit your shots, on game, to about 150~200yds? If so, is this because of trajectory or does bullet expansion get questionable beyond these ranges?

TIA

·
Registered
676 Posts
220 gr RN bullet in front of 44.6 grains of 4350 will give you 2100 fps which would be a minimum load in my Sierra manual, most accurate load would be with 53 grains at 2500 fps. and that is a maximum load. Assuming a 24" barrel and a 100 yard zero it is estimated to be 1/2" high at 50 yards and 10" low at 200 yards.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What are you hunting?

You didn't say what you're hunting. If used on whitetails, you may not get any expansion unless you hit bone every time. Even as a practice load, they will probably shoot to a different point of impact than your standard hunting load. I think it's better to know one load and exactly where it shoots than to get both loads mixed up in your mind when game is in front of you.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I load medium loads in my 06 for deer. My standard load is a 165 gr Hornady SP at 2550 10 ft from muzzel. It is very accurate for me and is the reason I shoot it. My project is to load other bullets, for deer, that hit at the same POA. I have come up with a 180 gr RN Sierra round that filled the bill on a deer this year at close range. At the range it groups very well at 100 yds at the same point of aim as the 165 gr. Interestingly I came to find the charge wt. for that round by loading it from The Hornady manual for the same velocity but with 4350, for their 189 gr soft point offering, instead of the Varget recipe for the 165 gr. At 100 yds the BC of the bullets seems to make little difference and since all my shots are within 125 yds or less I have no problems with this concept. That 2500 fps velocity is a little much for the Krag, I guess but what a bullet does at what velocity is not a good saleing point for bullets folks, I guess. I know the 180 gr Sierra RN did expand to a 50 cent piece sized hole on exit at 35 yds on a 80 to 90 pound WT doe, which is a bigger exit than usual for the 165 gr at that range. I liked it. If I get good accuracy at the range in the off season, it may become my favorite hunting bullet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't say what you're hunting.
My mistake... If I were to hunt with a 220gr at Krag velocities, it would be on whitetail.

Chief RID said:
I know the 180 gr Sierra RN did expand to a 50 cent piece sized hole on exit at 35 yds on a 80 to 90 pound WT doe, which is a bigger exit than usual for the 165 gr at that range.
That's good to know. I had already decided to try either Hornady's 180gr or Sierra's 180gr round nose at, or a little below, normal 30-06 velocities for a "go-to" whitetail load.

I guess I could load up some of the 220gr round nose bullets to about 2,000fps and shoot them into wet newspaper bundles and see what, if any, expansion I would get.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,305 Posts
With roundnose I suspect you would be fine. Let us know how the experiment goes. Perhaps a little hollowpoint to get things started?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts