Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a nice looking Winchester 94 30-30 for $320 from a private party at a gun show (always a risk, I know, I know). I tested the lever action and all seemed to function properly and smooth. At home I started to push 30-30 rounds into the side loader, but after the second round it jammed and I saw that one of the cartridges had fallen down into the lever area, I could see it from below. I had to unscrew the lever hinge screw in order to remove the round. Has anybody have similar issues and maybe even knows how to fix this problem? I'd sure appreciate some help with this.

Wolf :confused:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

It sounds like it's the fairly common worn cartridge stop finger, located on the top/fwd edge of the lower link.

Since a new lower link is slightly costly, with no guarantee the stop would be withing spec, the most common fix is the extend the stop finger via (after removing the link) peening the finger's sides) with a heavy hammer enough to swedge it a bit longer - or build up the tip with weld & dress it down until it will just release a cartridge from the magazine when the link drops (as the lever is cycled).

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can rework the link on the Model 94 as stated above. However, I've always been able to find a replacement link at a very fair price on EBAY of all places. I have replaced two on older 94's and they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

When the action is closed the cartridge is held in the mag by the lever....did you try to load the magazine with the lever down and action open? Always have the action closed when adding rounds to the mag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts