Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here load the 22 hornet? I am thinking of getting one of these guns and wanted to know if the loading for these small cartriges is a pain.

Steve

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
Yes, there are quite a few threads with some good advice. The forum does an auto-search for you and look at the 'similar threads' at the bottom of this page for a start.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might want to consider using Rem 6 1/2 or small pistol primers for this cartridge. Pressures are low enough, and the weaker primer will not push the bullet out of the case before the powder charge is fully ignited. This is one of the causes of erratic accuracy of this round. Also, make sure your expander ball in your sizer die is .223 dia, which is the proper size for .224 bullets, as the newer hornets are made. Some dies may still come with a .222 expander ball intended for the old .223 hornet bullets. With the old .222 expander ball used on .224 bullets, you will occasionally get bulged case necks, as the hornet necks are of very thin brass, bulging usually on just one side, and the bullets won't always seat straight. I had the .222 expander ball and contacted RCBS, and they sent me the proper size replacement for free. Hodgdon Lil Gun is a good powder to try for the hornet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
search post by, rocky raab. i believe he invented the 22 hornet round. he knows more about reloading the hornet than winchester.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I will echo birdshot, Rocky's pet is the .22 Hornet. His load is 13.0 grains of Lil Gun, any 30-45 grain bullet, any small pistol or rem 6 1/2 primer, any brass, neck sized and crimped with the Lee FCD.

I load R-P brass with Lil Gun, 35 grain Hdy VMax, rem 6 1/2, and neck sized but no crimp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
X3 on the small pistol primers! they are the key for my gun to shoot. went from 3.5" groups to about 1.25
and love it....

very picky cartridge.... tumble or clean your brass frequently, not with other bigger brass,,, sometimes case mouths will get damaged...and watch for stretching brass...

case walls are thin.. use light bullets.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I blush. I didn't invent it, but I have loved the little stinger since the 1950s. NOTHING did more for the Hornet than LilGun powder. Next best might be the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Mild primers and very frangible bullets have been staples of mild little cartridges all along. Combine all four and you almost get miracles.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Yup, +1 on the Li'l Gun.

13.0 gr of it, a BR4 primer, W-W cases neck sized only and a Hornady 35 gr V-Max (uncrimped) is a wonderful combination in my little Ruger 77/22 Hornet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts