Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some of these for my 30.06 in case I ever have to use a lead free bullet for something. I understand that the regular loading for the Hornady SST data is good to go so I have a good load for that bullet. I went to seat the rascal and realized that my normal seating depth is going to put the crimp in between the two grooves on the bullet. I then realized that I may have a situation where I don't know something about these all copper bullets. Does it matter where you crimp, or if you crimp or what kind of crimp. I checked Hornady web site but no help. I did look at a pic of a loaded round and did not see the top groove so I assume the round is seated in that groove. I could seat there but the round is going to be pretty short. nA lot more of the bullet is going to be further down in the case that any bullet I have ever loaded. Maybe you guys that load Barnes bullets could shed some light on this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have loaded a few of those. Some are 150 grain and some are 165 grain.
I didn't crimp either. I shoot a Remington 700 and haven't really found a situation where I needed to crimp. I did start them over 50 thousands off the rifling, like a Barnes TSX. I haven't got them to shoot as well in my rifle as some other bullets. Too; I haven't got anything to shoot as well in my rifle as Federal's loading of the Barnes 165 grain TSX. It's fun to work up loads, but after shooting those Federal's I was humbled. There load with Trophy Bonded bullets whipped me out pretty good too.
If I Needed to shoot bullets with no lead for a yearly hunt here and there I'd shoot the Federal's and never look back.
Let us know how those GMX's shoot for you

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If your loading in a bolt gun don't bother crimping-shortens brass life, may hurt accuracy. If they are anything like the Barnes they like to be pushed hard with alot of jump. The copper bullets are a good choice in the smaller calibers to increase penetration and in the heavier magnum calibers to avoid excessive meat damage.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I never crimp rifle rounds, even for autos or pumps.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i tried the 165gr gmx bullets in my 300 win mag and they ain't bad... less than 1 1/2" @ 100yds, just the same the 165gr barnes will group under 1/2". if you insist on crimping i'd seat the bullet so that you can crimp in the front groove and see how it shoots.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,523 Posts
I DO like crimping, but only Lee's factory crimp dies. Far superior method IMO(and what production ammo uses).
With those dies don't worry about crimp goove. The reason FOR crimping is to provide an even start pressure, also ensuring that the bullet heads for the rifleing straighter. Which is why many bullets require you to "seat to the lands".
As far as the "grooves" they aren't for crimp alignment anyway. They are a reduction of bearing surface, for pressure sake. Unlike Barnes bullets, Hornady uses a guilding metal. Far harder than Barnes "dead soft" copper, so there is less issues with Coppering the bore. As there is no lead, the bullets must be longer, to attain the same weight. Therefore they have a higher surface area on the bore, compared to a lead core bullet of the same weight. So they groove the bullet to allow for very similar friction ratings, and allow you to use standard loading data.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That info is good and I am learning a lot but has anyone seen any of these grooved bullets seated with a groove showing in the finished round? Has anybody seen data for OAL of a Hornady 165 gr 30.06 with the GMX bullet? Duagh!!!! I think I just had a revelation. Scarry stuff. The Hornady info says to load it like the SST. Why I did not think that meant the overall length data also is a senior moment I guess. COL for the SST is 3.230" and that will leave the top groove showing but the crimp will be on the area between grooves and that is good.

I can't think about this anymore. We will see how they shoot.

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like the number of folks loading these bullets are very few, so far. I would not be loading them myself if it was not for the possibility of not having a hunting round prepared if some political stuff makes lead illegal.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was worried that they would not feed from the mag. (you know , like cases without bullets hang up on the lip when you try to feed them from the mag, to check cycling) but they were slick. Looks like the groove is not a concern. I would still like to see a loaded production round.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new here today, looking for load data all morning for these GMX bullets i just picked up. I've heard a lot of good reviews of these bullets and i thought i'd give them a go. Only problem all my load data books are about ten years old or so and I'm not sure what powders and loads will work best for my 30-06 150grain GMX bullets. I was hoping to find a PDF file on line for the new Hornady book or at least just the page for the 30-06. Can anyone help me out with this or give me some info on loads to start with? much appreciation in advance. the powders that i have on hand are IMR 3031, IMR 4350, Winchester 748 and Unique orange dot. Again thanks for any help

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
I have the new Hornady book (8th Edition). Out of the powders you listed the only one shown for the 150 grain bullets in a 30-06 is the IMR4350, which is my powder of choice in that chambering.

Starting load 50.4
Max load 59.9

The cases were Hornady/Frontier, Federal 210 primer, C.O.L. 3.210

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. good luck with your GMXs. I loaded and shot 3 rounds, 2 years ago. They shot a bug hole at 100 yds., according to my notes and target. I have not loaded anymore. They are there if I ever need them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've not had as much luck with the 55gr GMX's as I have had with the 53gr TSX in my CZ 527 .223 Rem. I'm somewhat disappointed, because the GMX's got a full inch better penetration through wet phone books (9.5") than the TSX (8.5") at 100yds. I'm starting to play with seating depth, but I'm shooting sub-MOA with the TSX's, so it's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My main objective is to go completely lead free in my hunting rounds. the GMX is purely for deer hunting in the Southern BC and the interior (that's in Canada) I'm using 30-06 150gr bullets for now. I haven't had a chance to put a few together yet and try them out. I'll see how these work with the starting loads passed on to me by MontyF. I will post my results in a few weeks once i get some time off work to get back to the range. Cheers:)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My main objective is to go completely lead free in my hunting rounds. the GMX is purely for deer hunting in the Southern BC and the interior (that's in Canada) I'm using 30-06 150gr bullets for now. I haven't had a chance to put a few together yet and try them out. I'll see how these work with the starting loads passed on to me by MontyF. I will post my results in a few weeks once i get some time off work to get back to the range. Cheers:)
Not to derail the discussion, but I am curious about why you (and the OP) want to shoot lead free bullets? Aside from California, where the ban on lead is supposedly to protect the condor, why do you feel a need for non-lead projectiles? There are so many excellent jacketed hunting bullets, and virtually no data showing any downside to using such bullets. I've not been convinced by what I've seen so far that non-lead bullets are that great.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,186 Posts
Not to derail the discussion, but I am curious about why you (and the OP) want to shoot lead free bullets? Aside from California, where the ban on lead is supposedly to protect the condor, why do you feel a need for non-lead projectiles? There are so many excellent jacketed hunting bullets, and virtually no data showing any downside to using such bullets. I've not been convinced by what I've seen so far that non-lead bullets are that great.

I think unleaded bullets have different characteristics than regular jacketed bullets, and if that is what you seek, that's just fine. But I agree that the whole thing about the "dangers" of lead in hunting bullets is way overblown.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Haven't loaded any but I've shot the Superformance ammo with GMX in my 243 and 25-06 and they were both really accurate loads. Kinda crazy idea but maybe someone you know has some of the Superformance ammo in 30-06 with the 150gr GMX that could give 3-4 rounds and pull the bullet and measure/weigh the powder. They have it listed at 3080 fps from a 24 inch barrel. Welcome to the forum !!

I found this site and page with a large amount of load data from Hornady's 7th and 8th Manuals with 70+ recipes for the 150gr GMX bullet. www.loaddata.com
I think you have to pay 29.95 a year

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not derailing the discussion. as i said i'm just trying them out. I want to see how they work out. but as said i want to get away from lead. I have already done so with my shot for birds. why not do the same for deer and maybe even moose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts